Re: [XTalk] Iscariot = man of Kerioth?

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 19, 2003
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000@...>
      To: <crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, September 19, 2003 6:39 PM
      Subject: Re: [XTalk] Iscariot = man of Kerioth?

      > Jack Kilmon wrote:
      >

      > >I hold for the Ish-Kerioth (From the city=Jerusalem) since the narrative
      > >indicate that he knew his way around.
      > >

      > You probably don't intend to say this, but the logic behind your
      > sentence is that only Jerusalemites knew Jerusalem and that the only way
      > one could know one's way around Jerusalem was by being an inhabitant. I
      > know my way around London pretty well, but I wasn't born there nor
      > (drat!) did I ever reside there.

      I know London pretty well too but I can't drop by to chitty chat with the
      Archbishop of Canterbury <g>. No, I didn't mean only a Jerusalem resident
      knew the city well. Judas also was the "Chancellor of the Excheqeur" for the
      group. Judas is very similar to Nadan, isn't he? Hyam Maccoby believes him
      non-historical and a metaphor of an anti-Jewish stereotype. I have never
      really made up my mind on Judas, sometimes thinking him probably historical
      and other times wondering if he isn't a fiction like Barabbas playing into
      the early gentile Christian anti-Jewishness. In Aramaic, "The City of
      Jerusalem" would have been qeriatha d'orishlem and almost certainly people
      called it "THE city," qeriatha. It is the closest Aramaic to the Greek
      transliteration. )tyrq $y) pronounced eesh kereeATHa to ISKARIWQ
      eesKAreeawth (there's no SH in Greek) and, as you know, the final ) in
      qeriath is the article for THE city. I find it hard to believe there was a
      village in Judea named "village" or "city" which are the meanings of the
      word. The interesting thing about the Aramaic word for "city" and
      "village" )tyrq qeryatha is it also means FIELD and could mean "man of the
      FIELD" Both )tyrq and lqx are synonyms for "field" and )md lqx (haqel
      dama) plays into the Judas story. Coincidence? Maybe I should add mine to
      the list of Iscarioth theories as "Man of the Field."

      shlama amkon

      Jack

      Jack Kilmon
      San Marcos, Texas.