Re: [XTalk] Possible virus threat

  • Anthony Buglass
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 19, 2003
      Hi
      I've just received an email purporting to come from the Dangerous Goods
      Advisory Group, as follows:

      "Warning: This message has had one or more attachments removed
      Warning: (15.doc.pif).
      Warning: Please read the "VirusWarning.txt" attachment(s) for more
      information.

      To DGAG members

      I write to advise that the next DGAG meeting is to be held on Tuesday 18
      March 2003 at Aviation House, commencing at 10:30."

      It had an attachment "virus-warning.txt". There was a word at the bottom,
      which looked as if it was the start of a further sentence which was left off
      when the virus copied the file on the host computer to email. The date is
      also a giveaway.

      I seem to remember reading something about bogus warnings like this. The
      fact that some attachments have allegedly been removed implies that the
      remaining one is safe, but that itself contains a virus which is activated
      when you open it. Having said that, NAV didn't bleep or quarantine it.
      I've deleted the whole lot as highly suspicious. So if it comes your way,
      exterminate or excommunicate as you prefer.

      Cheers,
      Rev Tony Buglass
      Pickering Methodist Circuit