the vatican on mel

  • Jim West
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 18, 2003
      Listers may want to take a look at this story from CNN today:

      http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/Movies/09/18/passion.vatican.reut/index.html

      VATICAN CITY (Reuters) -- A top Vatican cardinal entered the fray over Mel
      Gibson's controversial film "The Passion" on Thursday, praising it as "a
      triumph of art" and rejecting fears it could spark a wave of anti-Semitism.

      "I would gladly trade some of the homilies that I have given about the
      passion of Christ for even a few of the scenes of his film," said Cardinal
      Dario Castrillon Hoyos, head of the Vatican department in charge of priests.

      Jim

      +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

      Dr Jim West
      Adjunct Professor of Biblical Studies
      Quartz Hill School of Theology

      Biblical Studies Resources
      http://www.biblical-studies.org
    • Mike McLafferty
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 18, 2003
        J. West wrote:

        > Listers may want to take a look at this story
        > from CNN today:
        [ http://tinyurl.com/nura ]

        At first I was puzzled by the politics of a cardinal's endorsement of this
        project, since Gibson's movement is still peeved about Vatican II (which
        "officially repudiated the concept of collective Jewish guilt for Christ's
        death and began dialogue with Jews"), and has been reported during coverage
        of "The Passion" as not recognizing the authority of the sitting pope.

        The key is in the last line:

        > The Vatican has been trying to woo the
        > traditionalists back into the fold and last
        > May Castrillon Hoyos said a Mass in Latin
        > for the conservative faithful in a Rome basilica.

        Cardinal Dario Castrillon Hoyos is President since 2000 of the Pontifical
        Commission *Ecclesia Dei*, "instituted by John Paul II... [in 1988]
        ...following the schismatic gesture of the illegal episcopal ordinations
        carried out by Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre..."

        According to the Vatican's website, the commission is empowered to
        "facilitate the full ecclesial communion" of those linked to Lefebvre's
        schism [the Society of St. Pius X], and plays a role in "*satisfying* the
        numerous groups of faithful linked to the Latin liturgical tradition..."
        ( http://tinyurl.com/nusi )

        At the website of the Society of St. Pius X,...
        ( http://tinyurl.com/nv0e )
        ...one may find gripes about "false ecumenical actions," including that
        "John Paul II is preaching a new religion, a humanism"; that he "recited
        psalms with Jews while visiting the synagogue of Rome (April 13, 1986)"; and
        that he "invited Catholics and Jews to prepare together for the coming of
        the Messiah (June 24, 1986)."

        This teeny research suggests that endorsing Gibson's movie won't be much of
        a bridge toward reconciliation with the schismatics, and that it represents
        the loss of a valuable opportunity to reaffirm Paul VI's *Nostra Aetate.*
        ["...the Church, mindful of the patrimony she shares with the Jews and moved
        not by political reasons but by the Gospel's spiritual love, decries hatred,
        persecutions, displays of anti-Semitism, directed against Jews at any time
        and by anyone".]

        Michael McLafferty
        Portland, Oregon, USA

        PS--Thanks to Mark Goodacre for the link to Peter Boyer's article in the New
        Yorker.
        ( http://freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/980753/posts )

        It's the most well-rounded and nuanced I've read so far. My vote for
        funniest (and scariest) line:

        > Then Gibson expressed his feelings about
        > [NYT columnist Frank] Rich. "I want to
        > kill him," he said. "I want his intestines on
        > a stick.... I want to kill his dog."

        ***