Re: [XTalk] Biography of Josephus

  • sdavies0
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 27, 2003
      Do you, or anyone on the list, know about "osephus in Galilee and
      Rome: His Vita and Development As a Historian"
      by Shaye J. D. Cohen, Brill Academic ?

      Steve

      --- In crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Olson" <kaolson@m...> wrote:
      > Hi Steve,
      >
      > I can't think of many works on Josephus that fit the genre of
      biography very
      > well. Tessa Rajak's _Josephus: the Historian and his Society_ is
      close
    • Ken Olson
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 27, 2003
        Steve,

        Shaye Cohen's book, _Josephus in Galilee and Rome: His Vita and Development
        as an Historian_ (Leiden: Brill, 1979; reprinted recently), is not really a
        biography. It's more a literary history of Josephus' writings, particularly
        the Jewish War (BJ) and the Life (V). Cohen argues that Josephus' BJ and V
        are both rewritings of an original _hypomnema_, one arranged topically and
        the other chronologically. There is a chart of their differences in order
        on pp. 261-263. [Steve Mason provides a more detailed chart of the
        differences in order between the BJ and V in volume 9 of the new Brill
        commentary on Josephus, pp. 213-222.] If what you're interested in is
        source and redaction criticism of Josephus' works (i.e. how J. used his
        sources, and what his tendencies as an historian were), it's a very good
        book.

        Best Wishes,

        Ken

        kaolson@...