Re: [XTalk] Re: Common ground for study (Grondin)

    Message 1 of 169 , Aug 3, 2003
      ----------
      >From: "Stephen C. Carlson" <scarlson@...>

      >Hoping that this post is not troll, I would suggest that before one
      >starts proposing scientific tests for transubstantiation, one should
      >first understand the doctrine, its Thomist/Aristotelian metaphysical
      >underpinnings, especially as to the distinction between substance and
      >accident, and Karl Popper's philosophy of demarcation as what science
      >actually encompasses.

      Hi Stephen and all...

      And then if one starts with that one should go on and read why Luther
      rejected the doctrine in favor of consubstantiation and why Calvin rejected
      both!

      To bend the subject a bit...

      All these notes on reason and reasonableness have surely become powerfully
      passionate (;)!) on all accounts... our ardent defenders of their takes on
      certain readings of doctrine/dogma and those who plow into that from
      "scientific/ rationalistic" bases. What's both fascinating and sad is that
      when you start with an ancient fellow who from across the different voices
      was ardently concerned about ethical matters what so soon happens is that
      defenders, questioners and attackers alike soon change the subject;)! I
      don't mean to sound pompous in this observation... for it has been and
      surely is keenly fun to rhapsodize over the largest abstractions... and
      there is surely some value in doing so, but all this sort of stuff has been
      debated for several milennia now... and mostly what comes out of this really
      turns into "confession" time all over again. Back to Jesus.... oh yeah,
      him;)!... his passion (and what got him one;)! ...sorry, couldn't
      resist;)!) was over matters that show up in concerns in the headlines of
      newspapers. Or at least it seems that way to me, anyhow. I'd say the far
      more valuable common ground might be found in working on how these ancient
      stirrings on justice, compassion, forgiveness, et. al. concerns might have
      some actual positive influence on a world where the struggles aren't really
      too different from Pax Romani times. In actual history, anyhow, some
      positive discovered common ground on those matters has rather tended to make
      some real difference!

      Just a thought!

      Gordon Raynal
      Inman, SC
    • Karel Hanhart
      Message 169 of 169 , Oct 11, 2003

        My reaction:

        At this point I would like to insert an answer to Matthew Estrada, which I
        sent him privately. I would look askance at the assured statement "an editor
        changed..." In spite of Ray Brown's detailed analysis searching our various
        layers in John, and the yheory of a "sign xourse" I believe one should first
        try to interpret the sign in terms of the Gospel we have before us. I would
        agree with those who believe the author knew the three Synoptic Gospels and
        commented on them also in this 'arche ton semeion'.
        'The mother of Jesus' represents faithful Israel; just as the Samaritan
        woman is addressed with "woman" representing the Samaritan people who
        acknowledge Jesus as the one sent by God (J 4.9.11.15.17.19.25.28).
        Surely "my hour has not yet come" refers to Jesus' death, as the great Hour
        of the Lamb of God. The "third day" would likely refer to the day of
        resurrection1). One might read the story as a play; only 6 large empty jars
        are on stage in the opening scene (with clamor and tumult heard backstage
        because the wine had been depleted). Afterwards just three persons appear on
        stage: Jesus, his mother and, - besides a number of silent 'diakonoi' -,
        an odd, indignant character with a unfamiliar function of 'architriklinos'
        . Oddly enough, moreover, the reader is not told the identity of the main
        personalities, namely, the bride and the groom. They do donot appear on
        stage. Who is the bride and who is the groom?
        The great theme of the prophets and the Psalms is that JHWH is the
        bridegroom and Israel his bride. The bride is awaiting the coming of her
        groom. However, she can become unfaithful, even adulterous. JHWH, however,
        is and always will remain faithful. That the story starts out with an
        absent groom and bride, underlines the ambiguity of the marriage of JHWH and
        his people.
        2) The clue of the allegory is found in the end (2,8-11). The term
        'architriklinos' is deliberately chosen; it is not an accepted term for an
        official at a wedding, neither in Hebrew nor in Greek. I cannot help
        thinking John ironically refers here to the high priest, 'archiereus', who
        always presides in the great ceremonies of pre-70 (!) Israel and who would
        be considered to be the right official for the performance of the
        'marriage'. He was supposed to have taken care of a good supply of wine,
        but he fails miserably. Indignantly. he therefore goes backstage and
        privately accuses the groom, in casu JHWH. He should have served the good
        wine first ( - it is left to the imagination of the reader what this 'good
        wine' is - it certainly refers to wine fit for the above marriage in the
        pre-70 era). JHWH should have kept the inferior wine to the last (Jerusalem
        destroyed and the temple in ruins) But the 'archiereus' was seriously
        mistaken. He didnot realize what is going on as will be explained in the
        followiung chapters. (cmp John 11,48 and 51-53)
        3) There are two remarkable features in the structure of John 2. a) The
        Synoptics do not have this 'primary' sign of water changed into wine (or do
        they?). b) they donot have the entry into Jerusalem in the beginning of the
        story but at the outset of the passion story. The eye catching structure of
        ch 2 could be compared with folding doors opening up to John's entire
        haggadah. One side is brightly painted leading to the marriage, the other
        dark, full of gloom as if going to a funeral. For the theme of the second
        part of chapter 2 is the saying, "destroy this temple and I will raise it up
        it in three days" (2,19) This refers both to Jesus death (and resurrection)
        as well as to the destruction of the temple. This was in John's eyes - let
        us say - the secular reality of Israel's circumstances.
        I agree with J.L. Martyn that John's perspective is that of the ecclesia vis
        à vis the synagogue across the street, so to speak. It was written at the
        time that mutual excommunication was taking shape. In the Gospel 'the
        Passover of the Joudaioi (read the synogogue acroos the street) is placed
        next tlo the true 'Passover' of Israël initiated by the death of its Messiah
        for the salvation of Israël and the nations (or the 'kosmos' in John).
        4) In Mark Jesus' first act is to be baptized by John when the Spirit
        descends into him like a dove. Matthew writes that what is "conceived by
        her" is "of the Holy Spirit" 1,18). Luke too begins both his Gospel and his
        Acts with the outpouring of the Spirit (L 1,15ff. 35; Acts 2,4.17 (note the
        mocking 'new wine' 2,13). So would it not be plausible that John refers to
        God's Spirit as the agent that turns water into wine?
        5) It seems to me that the six waterjars refer to the water of baptism.
        There is a relation between a) John's baptism, b) Jesus' being baptized by
        John, and c) the disciples later baptizing in the name of Jesus.
        My conclusion is that the joy of the marriage will only be restored when the
        people receive the water of baptism which means a radical turning around
        toward God, a true conversion. Without baptism no wedding joy.
        cordially,

        Karel