RE: [XTalk] Re: another jesus movie? & Re: Gibson Movie

  • Liz Fried
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 2, 2003
      Thank you for this response.
      There is also an article in today's New York Times bringing up
      many of the same points.
      Liz
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 2, 2003
        Concerning Mike McLafferty's post: I've been trying to
        follow the controversy over Gibson's not-yet-released
        move and wondering about judgements rendered before
        the movie's release, but this post has raised real
        concerns for me.

        I had Paula Frederickson as an instructor at Berkeley,
        and I trust her judgement, for the most part. If
        Gibson was relying upon medieval nuns who also
        (apparently) held antisemitic views (or so I've heard
        elsewhere), then this is really a problem.

        Antisemitism might not be a serious issue in America,
        but it's again a rising problem in Europe as well as
        in the Muslim world, and Gibson ought to be aware of
        this.

        If Gibson's movie turns out to have the distortions
        that some fear that it has, then this is -- to put it
        mildly -- not good. I'll wait until I see the film to
        form a solid judgement, but from what I've heard
        lately, I am concerned.

        Too bad. I've always rather liked Gibson.

        Jeffery Hodges

        =====
        447-791 Kyunggido, Osan-City
        Yangsandong 411
        South Korea

        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 3, 2003
          At 10:37 AM 8/2/2003 -0400, you wrote:
          >Thank you for this response.
          >There is also an article in today's New York Times bringing up
          >many of the same points.
          >Liz

          Liz,
          Were you referring to
          "Mel Gibson's Martyrdom Complex"?
          August 3, 2003

          http://www.nytimes.com/2003/08/03/arts/03RICH.html?ex=1060921857&ei=1&en=1312469e0d779d50

          I appreciated the excerpts from the New Republic article, which seemed to
          have more of the pertinent details for this list.

          Thanks,

        • Liz Fried
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 3, 2003
            >There is also an article in today's New York Times bringing up
            >many of the same points.
            >Liz

            Liz,
            Were you referring to
            "Mel Gibson's Martyrdom Complex"?
            August 3, 2003

            http://www.nytimes.com/2003/08/03/arts/03RICH.html?ex=1060921857&ei=1&en=131
            2469e0d779d50

            I appreciated the excerpts from the New Republic article, which seemed to
            have more of the pertinent details for this list.

            Thanks,
            Bob

            It doesn't seem likely, does it, when the letter I sent is dated to Aug.
            2, and
            the article you refer to appeared only on Aug. 3?
            Liz

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            crosstalk2-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

            List managers may be contacted directly at:
            crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 3, 2003
              At 04:14 PM 8/3/2003 -0400, Liz Fried wrote:

> [...]

              No, it doesn't seem likely. That's why I asked. I access the NYT on the
              net, and the Internet version often retains articles on their home page for
              several days after the original appearance. It also seemed to me odd that
              they might publish two different arts review columns in such a short span
              of time.

              Bob
            • Mike McLafferty
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 4, 2003
                Liz to me on August 2:

                > Thank you for this response...
                [about Paula Fredriksen's New Republic piece.]
                > There is also an article in today's New York
                > Times bringing up many of the same points.

                Bob to Liz:

                > Were you referring to "Mel Gibson's Martyrdom
                > Complex"? August 3, 2003

                ...and later:

                > ...It also seemed to me odd that they might
                > publish two different arts review columns in
                > such a short span of time.

                ***
                It interested me, too, that as soon as I revived a months-old thread, two
                successive articles should pop up in the NYT. But they, and the Fredriksen
                TNR article, are all appearing because Gibson (a guy who parted company with
                Rome over Vatican II) has been screening his rough cut for select
                sympathetic audiences to generate buzz.

                The article Liz cited was from Saturday the 2nd, by Laurie Goodstein, called
                "Months Before Debut, Movie on Death of Jesus Causes Stir."

                > Mr. [Paul] Lauer, marketing director for Icon,
                > said Mr. Gibson's rendering was not anti-Semitic,
                > but simply followed the New Testament. "There
                > are some sympathetic to Christ and some who
                > clearly want to get rid of this guy," he said. "And
                > that's clearly scriptural. You can't get away from
                > the fact that there are some Jews who wanted
                > this guy dead."

                ( http://tinyurl.com/ixza )

                Frank Rich's Sunday article, "Mel Gibson's Martyrdom," also has
                shudder-inducing quotes, including this one:

                > Asked by Bill O'Reilly in January if his movie
                > might upset "any Jewish people," Mr. Gibson
                > responded: "It may. It's not meant to. I think
                > it's meant to just tell the truth. . . . Anybody
                > who transgresses has to look at their own part
                > or look at their own culpability."

                ( http://tinyurl.com/ixzs )

                There's a lot of net chat building up, especially stuff on the fundy fringe
                that echoes these quotes, such as:

                > i hope mel gibson does his movie without fear
                > of the jews, the Passion of Jesus cannot be
                > changed for the sake of the jews or their vatican 2.

                ( http://tinyurl.com/iy0s )

                The movie teaser can be viewed in various formats at:

                http://www.passion-movie.com/english/trailer.html

                It does look visually powerful (but so was "Triumph of the Will"). This
                story is growing. Both Times articles bear reading in full, and are worth
                the price of free registration with the NYT, IMO.

                Michael McLafferty
                (no affiliation)
                Portland, Oregon, USA
              • Austin Meredith
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 4, 2003
                  Is a Passion Play harmful only if it is Antisemitic? In other words, in
                  general, has anything good ever come out of the sort of Christian who is
                  preoccupied with Jesus's death rather than his life?

                  That's not a rhetorical question, I don't think -- scanning about in my
                  imagination, I am failing to come up with historical instances. (I know of
                  no evidence that the life of Mel Gibson, for instance, has been improved by
                  such a preoccupation, or, at least, nothing of the sort has been being
                  debated in the fan 'zines.) Maybe one of you can assist my imagination by
                  supplying the name of some historical individual who allegedly has been
                  improved by such a preoccupation, arguing that perchance the sainthood of
                  Francis would have been improved by the appearance of stigmata on the palms
                  of his hands?

                  I'm at a loss. Disregarding Semitism, disregarding Antisemitism -- has that
                  sort of preoccupation with manner of death rather than manner of life
                  *ever* produced *anything* other than viciousness?
                • Mike Grondin
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 4, 2003
                    --- Austin Meredith wrote:
                    > Disregarding Semitism, disregarding Antisemitism -- has that
                    > sort of preoccupation with manner of death rather than manner
                    > of life *ever* produced *anything* other than viciousness?

                    You know, I was thinking something like this myself as I read
                    over the account of the one nun's "visions", and the accompanying
                    commentary. A lonely old monastic with nothing better to do than to
                    obsess about how Jesus died. Worse still the commentary that takes
                    it all seriously, and piously excuses her "confusion" about
                    historical facts. (According to her "vision", Mary Magdalene and
                    Mary the mother of Jesus were roundabout at the scourging, wiping
                    up blood with their clothes. Ugh. I wonder if THAT's in Gibson's
                    movie.) Stuff like this should be regarded by the Catholic church
                    as an embarassment. Instead, it's treated as a legitimate "vision"
                    because it meets the tests of legitimacy - among which that the
                    visionary show proper humility and "obedience to the teachings of
                    the church". Double ugh. (Ironically, Gibson himself seems to be
                    obeying only those teachings that he likes.)

                    Mike Grondin
                  • Anthony Buglass
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 18, 2003
                      Austin wrote:
                      I'm at a loss. Disregarding Semitism, disregarding Antisemitism -- has that
                      sort of preoccupation with manner of death rather than manner of life
                      *ever* produced *anything* other than viciousness?

                      If there is an emphasis on *that sort of preoccupation* with manner of death, then I'll agree with you. Otherwise, I'll throw in a big caveat. One of the weaknesses of evangelicalism as a form of Christianity is that it can become more concerned with the death of Christ than his own teaching - if you like, becoming excessively Pauline and wrapped up in a "gospel about Jesus" rather than hearing the vox Jesu and taking on board the "gospel of Jesus". However, I know personally Christians who have become so moved and inspired by the death of Christ that their own lives have been transformed. I could also find numerous examples from Christian history where the death of Christ has inspired compassion, caring, and positive living in a non-sectarian and definitely non-vicious manner. There are plenty of examples of viciousness and the worst sort of religion, I accept. But let's not get carried away, and produce as unbalanced a response to the Gibson movie as the Gibson movie seems to be.

                      Cheers,
                      Rev Tony Buglass
                      Pickering Methodist Circuit