Re: [XTalk] Wright's new volume on the resurrection

  • Rikk E. Watts
    Message 1 of 66 , Jun 20, 2003
      Hi Bob,

      There are also several stories in the Graeco-Roman world of individuals
      being taking up into the heavens, once or twice with their bodies intact
      along with their souls, but mostly it seems with their bodies discarded. In
      each case this happens at death. None of them , however, happen after a
      period of being dead. Wright mentions how the graves of such heroes played
      an important part in their cult but no one supposed such tombs were empty.

      On Israel's side there's Elijah but he didn't die, nor was he resurrected
      (which is really my interest). Re Enoch can I ask exactly what passage you
      have in mind?

      re the NT: isn't it the case, though, that the NT seems to keep the
      resurrection and ascension rather separate. This suggests to me that
      similarities in ascensions probably don't say a lot about the resurrection.
      After all the other "ascensions" I know of not only have no mention of a
      resurrection, but neither assume nor even require one.

      Regards
      Rikk

      on 20/6/03 5:59 AM, Bob Schacht at bobschacht@... wrote:

      > At 05:17 AM 6/20/2003 -0700, Rikk E. Watts wrote:
      >> HI Bob,
      >>
      >> Trust you are well.
      >
      > Yes, thank you.

      >> at least one
      >>>
      >>> Which was....?
      >> The Pharisees.
      >
      > Thanks.
      >

      >> ... much snipped
      >>>
      >>> At the same time in a recent BR we find an interesting comparison between
      >>> Jesus of the NT and the books of Enoch of the Intertestamental period,
      >>> showing many points of similarity. Plus the heritage of Qumran. Plus III &
      >>> IV Maccabees. So it seems to me that there must have been multiple strands.
      >>> The emerging Jesus tradition might have borrowed from more than one of
      >>> these strands. How does Wright deal with this diversity?
      >>>
      >> sorry, Bob, I'm not clear on the specifics here or how they relate to the
      >> resurrection account. Would you mind expanding your point here?
      >
      > Well, for example, the Resurrection story ends with the Ascension. Enoch
      > also has an ascension legend. Where there is one connecting element, there
      > may be more.
      >
      > Bob

      > List managers may be contacted directly at: crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com

      Dr. Rikk E. Watts (Cantab) Ph. (604) 224 3245
      Associate Professor of NT Fax. (604) 224 3097
      Regent College
      5800 University Boulevard, Vancouver, V6T 2E4
    • Brian Trafford
      Message 66 of 66 , Aug 14, 2003
        --- In crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com, "Karel Hanhart" <K.Hanhart@n...>
        wrote:
        > Shall we then agree to disagree?

        I'm afraid so Karel. Thanks for your thoughts.

        Brian Trafford
        Calgary, AB, Canada