Re: [XTalk] Jesus' burial

  • Rikk E. Watts
    Message 1 of 66 , Jun 20, 2003
      Thanks Jan,

      The resurrection would no doubt have been the decisive step. The intriguing
      thing for me though is that numerous scholars have frequently dismissed the
      idea of Jesus' bodily resurrection, appealing to those alternatives I
      mentioned or even sheer invention.

      Wright's argument is that these options are simply not viable historical
      alternatives. Further the notion of a single individual's resurrection when
      nothing else has changed ‹ I forgot to mention there was no mass return of
      exiles either ‹ is so bizarre as to be not only ridiculous but inconceivable
      within Israel's present understanding. The question I was after pursuing
      was not the timing of the kingdom, but instead how does one explain the
      origin of the resurrection story?

      regards
      Rikk

      on 20/6/03 1:01 AM, Jan Sammer at sammer@... wrote:

      - much snipped..

      > The question is whether the Kingdom of God was supposed to occur as a
      > stupendous sudden event, or if it could be understood to be dawning for a
      > period of time, preceded by signs, gathering force, etc. The gospel accounts
      > of Jesus' ministry suggest the latter. The gospels suggest that the Kingdom
      > is in some ways present already in Jesus' lifetime and his resurrection is
      > one more decisive step in its dawning. The resurrection was the foundation
      > of the Christian faith that the transformation had begun in earnest.
      >
      > Jan Sammer
      > Prague, Czech Republic

      Dr. Rikk E. Watts (Cantab) Ph. (604) 224 3245
      Associate Professor of NT Fax. (604) 224 3097
      Regent College
      5800 University Boulevard, Vancouver, V6T 2E4
    • Brian Trafford
      Message 66 of 66 , Aug 14, 2003
        --- In crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com, "Karel Hanhart" <K.Hanhart@n...>
        wrote:
        > Shall we then agree to disagree?

        I'm afraid so Karel. Thanks for your thoughts.

        Brian Trafford
        Calgary, AB, Canada