Re: [XTalk] Re: OT: Peter's Keys in Matt 16:19

  • Karel Hanhart
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 14, 2003
      From: Geoff Hudson <geoff.hudson@...>
      To: <crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 10:33 AM
      Subject: [XTalk] Re: OT: Peter's Keys in Matt 16:19

      > --- In crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com, "Karel Hanhart" <K.Hanhart@n...>
      > wrote on 25/05/03:
      >
      > "Let me say here that in my opinion Matthew, referring here to
      > LXX Isa 22,22, has 'two keys'. He deliberately added a second key to
      > the one mentioned in LXX Isa 22. In Isaiah's days the prophet
      > confronts a certain Sebna in the scriptorium of the first (doomed)
      > temple and announces his condemnation, dismissal and banishment into
      > exile. The 'key' to the house will be given to Eliakim, a more worthy
      > successor. In Isa 22,22 the key that opens the gate of the temple
      > (the house of David), refers to the authority to interpret the Torah
      > (symbolized by the key to the Holy presence in the temple)."
      > *******

      Geoff wrote
      > Is.22:22 (NIV) has: "I will place on his shoulder the key to the
      > house of David; what he opens no-one can shut, and what he shuts, no-
      > one can open." Eliakim was to be given the high priesthood that
      > carried this ultimate authority of irrevocable `opening' and
      > `shutting'. I was interested that you said the `key' was not literal
      > but symbolic of the authority to interpret the law. So, the key to
      > God's holy presence in the temple was the correct interpretation of
      > the law, and presumably obedience of that interpretation. It is
      > interesting to see the sequence of opposites: opens/shut and
      > shuts/open. There are no parallel opposites in Mat.16:19 which I
      > suspect has been overwritten.

      Karel's reply
      Are not the opposites to open/shut parallelled by the binding/loosing
      opposites? The binding and loosing refer to the authority to make
      decisions concerning teaching Torah with respect to halacha? In
      Matthew's time the key saying in Isaiah 22,22 was interpreted in
      terms of such decisions.

      My main question to you, however, concerns the reference to LXX Isa 22,16
      in Mk 15,46 concerning "the tomb hewn out of the rock".
      Do you not agree that Mark was purposely citing Isa 22, as it refers
      to a monumental tomb and a 'burial;' of Jesus?

      yours cordially

      Karel

      .