RE: [XTalk] Eyewitnesses?

  • David C. Hindley
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 13, 2003
      Loren Rosson III says:

      >>Bauckham's article indeed undercuts the form critical assumption that most
      eyewitness-origins were lost under the anonymity of collective transmission.
      That Papias, for instance, valued and expected to hear what actual disciples
      had said (like Andrew and Peter) and were still saying (like Aristion and
      John the Elder) indicates that oral traditions didn't necessarily evolve
      away from eyewitnesses but continued to be attached to them. So we can
      perhaps be stronger than speaking simply of the "voice" of oral tradition.
      We can speak of the voices of actual informants who had and have memories of
      the sayings and deeds of Jesus.<<

      Why could not Papias' interest in finding the oldest oral witnesses have
      been due to a distrust of, or dissatisfaction with, oral or written
      traditions as they existed more than a generation or two from the
      "eyewitnesses?" Seems he wanted to set the record straight rather than
      preserve it.

      In any event, later generations (particularly Eusebius) had none too high
      opinion of what he related: particularly the saying of Jesus that predicts a
      bountiful earthly kingdom (a tradition shared by _2 Baruch_).

      As an interesting side issue to this, the other day I received an e-mail
      from the IOUDAIOS list from Jim Davila with a link to an abstract of a new
      book by Rivka Nir, _The Destruction of Jerusalem and the Idea of Redemption
      in the Syriac Apocalypse of Baruch_ (Early Judaism and Its Literature #20,
      SBL and Brill: 2003) ISBN #1589830504, which proposes that 2 Baruch may
      represent the point of view of earliest Christianity.
      http://paleojudaica.blogspot.com/#95497787

      Respectfully,

      Dave Hindley
      Cleveland, Ohio, USA