Synagogues in Rome?

  • Geoff Hudson
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 10, 2003
      Is there any evidence for synagogues in first century Rome?

      Does anyone think that early Christians with a Jewish background
      might have continued to attend such synagogues?

      Might the Jewish Christians of Rome have continued to carry out some
      purification rites, centered on such synagogues?

      Would such synagogues have been regarded as pure places that could be
      polluted or made impure?

      Geoff
    • David Barr
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 10, 2003
        This is a large topic with an extensive bibliography. The classic treatment
        has been:

        Leon, Harry J. The Jews of Ancient Rome. Philadelphia: Jewish Pub. Society
        of America, 1960.

        There is also some treatment in:

        Grabbe, Lester L. Judaism from Cyrus to Hadrian: Volume Two: The Roman
        Period. Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 1992

        These two might also be useful, though I confess I haven't read them.

        Lampe, Peter. From Paul to Valentinus: Christians At Rome in the First Two
        Centuries. Originally published as Die Stadtroemischen Christen in Den
        Ersten Beiden Jahrhunderten. 1987. Repr. Minneapolis: Augsburg Fortress,
        1999.

        Jeffers, James S. Conflict At Rome: Social Order and Hierarchy in Early
        Christianity. Fortress, 1991.

        As to Christian participation in synagogues, there is good evidence that
        that continued into the fourth century; see:

        Meeks, Wayne A., and Robert Wilken. Jews and Christians in Antioch in the
        First Four Centuries of the Common Era. (SBL SBS 13) ed. Scholars Press,
        1978.

        David

        David L. Barr
        Professor of Religion
        Wright State University
        Dayton OH

        937-775-2293
        937-775-2892 (FAX)
        http://www.wright.edu/~david.barr

        Is there any evidence for synagogues in first century Rome?

        Does anyone think that early Christians with a Jewish background
        might have continued to attend such synagogues?

        Might the Jewish Christians of Rome have continued to carry out some
        purification rites, centered on such synagogues?

        Would such synagogues have been regarded as pure places that could be
        polluted or made impure?

        Geoff

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050773
        60:HM/A=1564416/R=0/SIG=11ti81skc/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60164
        797&partid=3170658>

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupmai
        l/S=:HM/A=1564416/rand=129081135>

        crosstalk2-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

        List managers may be contacted directly at:
        crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • Loren Rosson
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 10, 2003
          Geoff Hudson wrote:

          > Is there any evidence for synagogues in first
          > century Rome?

          Geoff,

          Check out Mark Nanos' Mystery of Romans for an
          argument for the existence of synagogues in
          first-century Rome (apropos Paul's letter to the
          Romans). (Also E.A. Judge and G.S.R. Thomas, who
          similarly argued that the Christians in Rome
          originally sheltered under the umbrella of the
          synagogues: "The Origin of the Church at Rome" in
          Reformed Theological Review, 25/3:81-94.)

          > Does anyone think that early Christians with a
          > Jewish background
          > might have continued to attend such synagogues?

          Perhaps even the Gentiles with no Jewish background
          did. That's what the above authors believe.

          Loren Rosson III
          Nashua NH
          rossoiii@...

          http://calendar.yahoo.com
        • Richard Anderson
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 10, 2003
            Geoff Hudson: Does anyone think that early Christians with a Jewish
            background
            might have continued to attend such synagogues?

            In the fourth century John Chrysostom realized the gravity of the Judaizer's
            challenge to the church. Chrysostom is aware that many Christians are
            keeping the Sabbath with the Jews.(Adv. Jud. 1.5.850, 8.8.940 and Homilies
            1.7; 61.623) In a series of eight sermons delivered to his congregation in
            386 C.E. in Antioch he observes, if the Jewish rite are holy, the holy ways
            of Christianity must be false.( Adv. Jud. 1.6.85a) In fact, so many
            Christians were attracted to Jewish practices that he warns his members not
            to reveal how many, lest the reputation of the church should suffer.(Adv.
            Jud. 8.4.933)
            Paul also felt constrained to speak severely against continuance of some
            Hebraic practices; at the same time he commended the Judean church as a
            model. Gal. 2; 1 Thes. 2:14.

            Richard H. Anderson
            Wallingford PA