Re: [XTalk] Re: Passion Narrative musings

  • Karel Hanhart
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 7, 2003
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Geoff Hudson <geoff.hudson@...>
      To: <crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Thursday, April 17, 2003 9:35 AM
      Subject: [XTalk] Re: Passion Narrative musings

      > --- In crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com, Bob Schacht <bobschacht@i...>
      > wrote:
      > > In the Passion Narratives, there are some odd patterns of agreement
      > that go
      > > against the usual synoptic arrangement.
      > >
      > > 1. Matthew 27:57 and John 19:38 agree that Joseph of Arimathea was
      > > disciple of Jesus; but Luke follows Mark in describing J of A
      > instead as
      > > "looking for the kingdom of God."

      Geoff,

      The abnormal verbal form 'ematheteuthe' (aor. passiv.) in Mt 27,57 does not
      mean "was a disciple of [Jesus]" but "was instructed about or informed about
      [Jesus]".
      The form is abnormal since being a 'disciple of Jesus' (mathetes) is a key
      term in Matthew.
      As I see it, Matthew agrees with Mark in depicting Arimathea in a negative
      light (plousios! 19,23f).
      He appears to correct Mark, if Arimathea indeed wasnot a member of the
      Council at the time
      Jesus was condemned by Caiaphas.

      Mark's "also looking for the Rule of God" (15,43) doesn't necessarily mean
      being a follower of Jesus.
      Judeans praying for victory at the time of the Roman-Judean war, were also
      looking for the Rule of God.

      yours cordially,

      Karel

      crosstalk2-subscribe@yahoogroups.com