Re: Geniza Manuscript of the Birkat ha-Minim

  • RSBrenchley@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , May 20, 2003
      crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com writes:

      > To return to the analogy, there are features of the current 1979 Episcopal
      > Book of Common Prayer that are carried over from the original Thomas
      > Cranmer edition of 1652. A close reading and comparison with other
      > documents would date certain passages from the prayer book to 1652 even
      > though the book itself was published decades later. Of course, the book
      > contains even older portions of other books (e.g., the Psalms).
      > Thus, the date of the Genizah manuscript itself may not be particularly
      > interesting.
      >
      > Bob

      I don't want to seem pedantic, but Cranmer's original Prayerbook came out
      in 1549, with minor revisions in 1551 or 2. I don't know the modern Anglican
      liturgies at all, but I well remember very similar prayers being used in the
      1652 Book of Common Prayer. This was introduced after the restoration of
      Charles II, and not updated in the UK until, I think, the Seventies. The
      divisions of the 17th Century left the Church of England liturgically
      paralysed, as it were, and its not much better now. At a recent discussion at
      the Methodist Synod about the conversations with the C of E, it was said with
      some reason that it would not be possible to unite now, since the strain
      would split the church.

      Regards,

      Robert Brenchley
      Birmingham, UK