A Nestorian Aramaic Bible?

    Message 1 of 1 , May 11, 2003
      Anyone have accurate information about the Khabouris manuscript
      (<http://www.metamind.net/khabouris1.html>http://www.metamind.net/khabouris1.html,
      similar versions with additional info at
      http://www.iloveulove.com/khaboris1.htm, &
      http://www.aramaicbiblecenter.com/khabouris1.html)? I'm told that it is
      parchment, bound between olive-wood covers. I am told that on the first
      page, there was a certification by the clerk who copied it, stating that
      the book was an exact copy of the original which is said to have been
      compiled in 400 AD (on the basis of what???). The book was discovered in
      1966, and is described as a copy of much of the New Testament in
      Aramaic. Is this a version of the Peshitta (Aramaic bible), meaning a
      translation from a Greek original back into Aramaic?

      Apparently a book on this manuscript was published in 1994 (Khaboris
      Manuscript : Enlightment; Publisher:
      The Foundation of Human Understanding, 98 pp., ISBN: 093390018X)

      If it is indeed Nestorian in origin, the version of Matthew in it might be
      of considerable interest. An English translation of much of the Gospel of
      Matthew from this manuscript is on the Internet at
      http://kuriakon00.tripod.com/aramaicMatt.html
      with a message at the end inviting correspondence about the manuscript to
      Email: Zachariah Mebaqqer. The English translation includes parenthetical
      references to key words.

      The document is referenced at the Nestorian web pages,
      http://www.oxuscom.com/nestpage.htm

      This manuscript has been discussed on B-Greek, and our own Jim West was
      involved, but I know of this only second hand, so I don't know much about
      any "conclusions" or any consensus about the mss. on that forum.

      Work is under way to place images of the original on the web
      http://www.cis.rit.edu/people/faculty/easton/research.html

      So, is this a translation into Aramaic from Greek, or is there a chance
      that it is based on an Aramaic tradition not influenced by the Greek versions?