Re: [XTalk] Re: Prophecy against the temple

  • Jim West
    Message 1 of 42 , Apr 7, 2003
      At 01:52 PM 4/7/03 -0700, you wrote:

      >On a different listserve, a question was raised about
      >the whip. GJn alone mentions it, and the wording
      >leaves open whether the whip is presented as being
      >used against both people and animals or against just
      >the animals.
      >
      >How would you (or others on this listserve) interpret
      >John 2:15?

      paV,a {pas}
      1) individually 1a) each, every, any, all, the whole, everyone, all things,
      everything 2) collectively 2a) some of all types

      Jesus took the flagellum and whacked both animals and people. Driving them
      all out in his fit of rage at how the Temple had been turned into a
      for-profit stall.

      Theres a nice treatment on this in the book I just mentioned- as well as in
      Bruce Chilton's really amazing book- Rabbi Jesus.

      Best

      Jim

      +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

      Jim West, ThD

      Biblical Studies Resources
      http://web.infoave.net/~jwest
    • gth400
      Message 42 of 42 , Apr 9, 2003
        Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote on 08/04/2003:

        > One should also note, I think, that in GJohn, the scriptural warrant
        > that Jesus gives for his action is not, as in GMark, the Jeremiah '7
        > "den of thieves" passage --upon which the idea of Jesus as
        objector to
        > extortionary and commercial practices in the Temple view is usually
        > based (and which Dom Crossan demolishes -- a "den of thieves" is
        where
        > "thieves" go not to carry out, but to rest from, and gain sanctuary
        > against the consequences of their, "thievery"), but Zechariah
        14:21, a
        > text which speaks nothing of "thieves" but of a temple in which
        animal
        > sacrifice would no longer be a part of cult. Moreover the saying in
        > which Jesus makes the allusion is addressed only to the dove
        sellers!

        Jeffrey,

        How does Zechariah 14:21 speak of a temple without sacrifice? It
        does say "there will no longer be a Canaanite or merchant in the
        house of the Lord". But, verse 16 refers to the Feast of Tabernacles
        and verse 21 to "all who come to sacrifice".

        Geoff