Re: [XTalk] Addendum on MIMESIS vs. Coincidence

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 12 7:46 PM
      At 09:25 PM 3/12/2003 -0600, you wrote:
      >Dear Listers,
      >
      >As a follow-up to my post of March 10, "Re: Two Jesuses: the Provocative
      >Parallels," I wish to offer this addendum in further support of my
      >contention that the appearance of parallelism or other similarity existing
      >between two literary creations in the Greco-Roman world would have been
      >intuited immediately by a skilled reader as dependency due to the practice
      >of MIMESIS and not assumed that such parallelism or similarity was a mere
      >matter of coincidence. In this addendum, I return again to some important
      >insights of Teresa Morgan (_Literate Education in the Hellenistic and Roman
      >Worlds_) on the central and indispensable place and role of imitation in
      >Greco-Roman education and pedagogy... Thus, it is clear that
      >MIMEMSIS was a primary focus of education, behavior and literary creativity
      >in the Greco-Roman culture. Consequently, the mind-set of the culture of the
      >Greco-Roman world was so fixated on imitation that, where there was
      >similarity in behavior or parallelism and similarity between literary works,
      >people of that time would have assumed immediately that imitation was being
      >practiced and would not have dismissed "it all" as pure coincidence.

      Ted,
      Let's assume you're right. What, then, does this tell us about Mark and his
      audience? If Mark is able not only to intend, but to appeal to, this
      understanding in his treatment of Jesus of Nazareth. Does this not imply a
      cosmopolitan Greco-Roman Sitz rather than a relatively out of the way
      Galilean Sitz such as you have posited for Mark?