Re: Lloyd Re: [XTalk] The kingdom of God: Did Jesus get it wrong?

    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 2 4:56 PM
      Steve Dingeldein wrote:

      > Interesting discussion of Jesus' apocalyptic claims. As a relative
      > amateur
      > I'd be interested in what you folk have to say about Horsely comment
      > in
      > Jesus and Empire, pp 80-81

      Another serendipitous message -- like Gordon's earlier -- as it gives me
      a good reason to remind List members that Dick Horsley will be joining
      us in May to do a Seminar on this very book.

      Yours,

      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)

      1500 W. Pratt Blvd. #1
      Chicago, IL 60626

      jgibson000@...

      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 3 6:45 AM

        >Another serendipitous message -- like Gordon's earlier -- as it gives me
        >a good reason to remind List members that Dick Horsley will be joining
        >us in May to do a Seminar on this very book.

        Jeffrey,

        Any invitations out to such as Brandon Scott, Dom or Burton Mack so that
        list members might have a new opportunity to engage folks who see things a
        tad differently than such as Horsely and Allison? How about an invitation
        to such as Crossan, Mack, Saunders and Allison to have a methodological
        debate?

        Gordon Raynal
        Inman, SC
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 3 7:27 AM
          Gordon Raynal wrote:

          > >Another serendipitous message -- like Gordon's earlier -- as it gives
          > me
          > >a good reason to remind List members that Dick Horsley will be
          > joining
          > >us in May to do a Seminar on this very book.
          >
          > Jeffrey,
          >
          > Any invitations out to such as Brandon Scott, Dom or Burton Mack so
          > that
          > list members might have a new opportunity to engage folks who see
          > things a
          > tad differently than such as Horsely and Allison? How about an
          > invitation
          > to such as Crossan, Mack, Saunders and Allison to have a
          > methodological
          > debate?

          I have written to Mack previously about doing a seminar and/or
          participating in one/joining XTalk. He has no interest in doing so.

          I always let Dom know about the seminars. His participation is always
          contingent on time available to him.

          As to Saunders -- forgive me if I'm being more than usually obtuse, but
          do you mean Ed Sanders? If so, there's not much hope. He has noted to me
          privately that he is one of the worst e-mail corespondents on the
          planet.

          Look for the announcement on the Allison Seminar, as well as URLs to the
          material Dale wishes to be the subject matter of the discussion, later
          today.

          Yours,

          Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)

          1500 W. Pratt Blvd. #1
          Chicago, IL 60626

          jgibson000@...

          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 3 7:37 AM
            At 09:45 AM 3/3/2003 -0500, Gordon Raynal wrote:

            > >Another serendipitous message -- like Gordon's earlier -- as it gives me
            > >a good reason to remind List members that Dick Horsley will be joining
            > >us in May to do a Seminar on this very book.
            >
            >Jeffrey,
            >
            >Any invitations out to such as Brandon Scott, Dom or Burton Mack so that
            >list members might have a new opportunity to engage folks who see things a
            >tad differently than such as Horsely and Allison? How about an invitation
            >to such as Crossan, Mack, Saunders and Allison to have a methodological
            >debate?
            >
            >Gordon Raynal

            Gordon,
            You seem to have forgotten that we've *already* had seminars with Crossan,
            and I appreciate the invitations to Allison (and Horsley again) for
            balance. I believe the archives of these seminars are still accessible.
            Your dissing Allison (and Horsley) in advance (in previous posts, and by
            implication in this one) seems unfair and unscholarly. I can understand why
            you might want to line up scholars whose views you sympathize with, but
            please don't diss the others in the meanwhile. Instead, I think we should
            all be grateful to Jeffrey Gibson for the extra work he has done lining up
            seminar leaders. Thanks, Jeffrey!

            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 3 9:21 AM
              Thanks Jeffrey. I know this would be a big deal and they have their
              commitments. Maybe the HJ Group at SBL might arrange a big methodology
              forum day. But maybe the "round and round" will just go on. And yes, sorry
              about misspelling Ed's name. My typing skills aren't always the best!

              Gordon
            • Loren Rosson
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 4 7:22 AM
                List members --

                I have received a free trial issue of The Journal for
                the Study of the Historical Jesus, and I must say the
                artciles therein are impressive. If the editorial
                board continues providing this level of quality, I may
                have to subscribe. It just so happens that Dale
                Allison kicks off with the first essay, which is
                titled "The Continuity between John and Jesus". It
                serves as a fine supplement to the required reading
                material for the upcoming Allison seminar.

                The ISSN for this publication is 1476-8690.

                Loren Rosson III
                Nashua NH
                rossoiii@...

                http://taxes.yahoo.com/
              • Bob Webb
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 4 8:07 AM
                  Loren,

                  Thanks for your positive assessment of the Journal.

                  Can I state, however, that, while the editorial board members are starting
                  the journal by each contributing a substantive new essay, the journal will
                  only be sustained by its readers and other life-of-Jesus scholars submitting
                  high-quality, cutting-edge essays.

                  So, those of you out there who are contributing scholars, I'm waiting to
                  hear from you!

                  Bob.

                  Robert L. Webb
                  Webb.Bob@...

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                • Mark Goodacre
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 4 10:07 AM
                    Bob -- will electronic access be available soon for the journal?
                    JSNT and other Continuum journals are available electronically and
                    it's a shame to see that the Journal for the Study of the Historical
                    Jesus does not yet have this.

                    Thanks
                    Mark
                    -----------------------------
                    Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
                    University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 4381
                    Birmingham B15 2TT UK

                    http://www.theology.bham.ac.uk/goodacre
                    http://NTGateway.com
                  • Bob Webb
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 4 10:39 AM
                      Mark,

                      Let me find out for you; I'll be back.

                      Bob.

                      Robert L. Webb
                      Webb.Bob@...

                      ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~--> New
                      Yahoo! Mail Plus. More flexibility. More control. More power. Get POP
                      access, more storage, more filters, and more.
                      http://us.click.yahoo.com/Hcb0iA/P.iFAA/46VHAA/wpWolB/TM

                      List managers may be contacted directly at:
                      crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com

                    • Andrew Lloyd <a.lloyd2@ntlworld.com>
                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 4 12:19 PM
                        Some of us are already subscribers Loren! I'd also like to take the
                        chance to recommend this journal. Every single article in the first
                        issue is valuable and a "cutting edge" (to use Bob's term) summary
                        of various matters of current interest in the historical Jesus
                        debate. Long may it continue at this high standard.

                        Andrew Lloyd (PhD Cand.)
                        Department of Biblical Studies
                        University of Sheffield, UK
                      • Steve Dingeldein
                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 4 3:31 PM
                          Here is the link for the journal

                          http://www.continuumjournals.com/journals/index.asp?jref=31

                          Steve Dingeldein

                          crosstalk2-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 5 8:16 AM
                            Mark,

                            I have checked with "the powers that be" and the answer that I've received
                            is that the annual costs are more than £2300. Thus it will not be until at
                            least volume 3 that this would happen, and it would depend upon
                            subscriptions.

                            But I agree. I certainly support such a development.

                            Bob.

                            Robert L. Webb
                            Webb.Bob@...

                            > Bob -- will electronic access be available soon for the journal?
                            > JSNT and other Continuum journals are available electronically and
                            > it's a shame to see that the Journal for the Study of the Historical
                            > Jesus does not yet have this.
                            >
                            > Thanks
                            > Mark
                          • Loren Rosson
                            Message 13 of 17 , Mar 5 11:34 AM
                              List --

                              A blockbuster of sorts is on the way. I just read a
                              blurb for The Brother of Jesus: The Dramatic Story &
                              Significance of the First Arhcaeological Link to Jesus
                              and his Family, by Hershel Shanks and Ben Witherington
                              (ISBN 0-06-055660-9) in the March 3 issue of
                              Publisher's Weekly. The review describes the work as
                              "a well-argued and truly fascinating study of the
                              ossuary and its importance...particularly interesting
                              is the book's discussion of what the ossuary does for
                              Jewish Christian relations" [since James encouraged
                              Christians to retain aspects of their Jewish
                              heritage]. Shanks and Witherington should make
                              interesting bed-fellows.

                              Loren Rosson III
                              Nashua NH
                              rossoiii@...