Re: merkavah and hekhalot (was: Angels in Mark 13:27)

  • RSBrenchley@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2 12:34 PM
      crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com writes:

      > They certainly should should talk about it, and many do. Since Christopher
      > Rowland's _The Open Heaven_ in 1982 (I apologize if I'm dissing someone by
      > taking that as a starting point), there's been a huge spate of books about
      > angelomorphic christology that deal with the subject of heavenly ascents in
      > some depth. Alan Segal's _Paul the Convert_ and John Ashton's _The
      Religion
      > of Paul the Apostle_ both devote a chapter to the subject as well. I think
      > an understanding of heavenly ascents is vital to interpreting what Paul is
      > talking about.
      >
      > Best Wishes,
      >
      > Ken

      I wonder whether the Transfiguration should be treated as an example?
      I've long felt convinced that there was an angel Christology around in the NT
      period; not only do we have the (late) evidence of GEbionites, but the, to my
      mind better, evidence of Hebrews 1-2, which I see as a polemic against such a
      Christology. What I'm not sure of is the extent of its influence on the NT
      writings.

      Regards,

      Robert Brenchley
      Birmingham, UK