Re: [XTalk] Re: Value-free scholarship? (metaphysics)

  • Horace Jeffery Hodges
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 26, 2003
      Antonio Jerez wrote:

      <Horace Jeffre Hodges wrote:>

      Actually, "Jeffery."

      <<Modal logic limits the possible in metaphysics. The
      principle of contradiction, for instance, would not be
      denied -- on pain of self-refutation -- by the vast
      majority of metaphysicians. Whatever is
      self-contradictory is necessarily false.>>

      Antonio responded:

      <I think you should tell that to the metaphysicians
      themselves.>

      They know it already.

      <Simple logic has never hindered theologians and other
      metaphysicians in all religions from breaking against
      even the logical self-contradictions that you claim
      exist even in a purely theoretical discipline like
      metaphysics.>

      Nor scientists nor historians in their more empirical
      disciplines.

      <It hasn't hindered muslim conservatives from claiming
      that a just God can do things that appear to be unjust
      to us but aren't just because God does them or
      Christians claiming that it is possible to be both
      human and god at the same time. This is what I meant
      by stating that everything is possible in
      metaphysics.>

      Then you need to aim more precisely at specific
      targets, not all of whom are metaphysicians.

      Anyway, this listserve -- I realize -- isn't the
      proper place to debate about the status of
      metaphysics, so I'll drop the issue here.

      Best Regards,

      Jeffery Hodges

      =====
      Horace Jeffery Hodges (Ph.D., U.C. Berkeley)
      Assistant Professor
      447-791 Kyunggido, Osan-City
      Yangsandong 411
      South Korea