Re: [XTalk] Re: serial hijack attempts and rudders

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 22, 2003
      At 08:34 AM 2/22/2003 +0000, you wrote:
      >--- In crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com, Bob Schacht <bobschacht@i...> wrote:
      > >are we a bit like the sea voyagers that Robbins has been discussing-
      > > perhaps the point is not where the ship is going, but the fact that we're
      > > on it, together, arguing about whose hands are on the rudder, and
      > trying to
      > > figure out where we're going....
      >
      >Bob,
      >
      >I agree precisely with what you are saying, not least because I have
      >philosophical/theoretical reasons for doing so which arise from my
      >familiarity with the pramatist tradition of philosophy so based in
      >democracy and "interpretive communities". ... In this, specific
      >destinations are largely irrelevant for membership of the community.
      >
      >Andrew Lloyd (PhD Cand.)

      Andrew,
      I hate to disagree with myself, especially after you have been so kind as
      to agree with me, but I'm afraid I must <g>. That is, I have to say that
      maybe it DOES matter where we're going-- or at least, we think it matters--
      because why else would we be trying to grab the rudder firmly, unless we
      not only had a destination in mind, but cared a lot about getting there?

      But I admit that perhaps we are only deluding ourselves about whether the
      destination matters. I can't prove that it does matter, but I am convinced
      that it does, or else I would not be grabbing for the rudder every now and
      then myself!