Re: [XTalk] Re: Critique of Wright by Robert Gundry

  • Antonio Jerez
    Message 1 of 104 , Feb 15, 2003
      Mike Grondin wrote:

      > I agree that Gundry's response to Wright is less critical than
      > Antonio asserts (and less critical also than I believe Antonio
      > might wish). It seems to be in the nature of a relatively gentle
      > inter-Christian chiding. Gundry seems to be expressing the views
      > of 100% orthodox Christians against the 90% orthodox Wright.
      > Thankful as Gundry is for Wright's forceful defense of the faith,
      > he's yet uneasy about Wright's novel re-interpretations and/or
      > discarding of some few key elements of that faith. I think Gundry
      > wants to reassure himself that the faith will remain solid under
      > Wright's redirection.

      Yes, Gundry is quite a conservative scholar himself. But when it comes
      to the question of things like how much of the traditions in the gospels that
      has read his commentary on GMatthew can see that he has no hesitation in
      ascribing a lot of the Mattean JesusĀ“ words to Matthew himself. Hardly a stance
      Wright would agree with. So at least in the field of source and redactioncriticism
      Gundry can often appear to be far from the camp of the 100 % orthodox christians.
      In fact he has been heavily critisized by evangelical scholars and their likes for
      claiming that so much in the gospels is "midrash".

      Best wishes

      Antonio Jerez
    • Crispin H.T. Fletcher-Louis
      Message 104 of 104 , Mar 11 9:02 AM
        Don't know what to do with Lev 11 on Locusts - certainly interesting.

        Manna in the wilderness certainly must be related somehow to the honey JB
        eats. And, yes, this is not incompatible with the angelomorphic interp. of
        the honey given that the Israelites ate the "bread of angels" in the
        wilderness (Ps 78:25, and cf. the use of Ezek 16 for Passover in rabbinic
        tradition).
        On all this there are helpful references in: D. Goodman, "Do Angels Eat?,"
        JJS 37 (1986) 160-70.

        Crispin