Re: Tribute Payment

  • mwgrondin <mwgrondin@comcast.net>
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 4, 2003
      --- David C. Hindley wrote:
      > I wonder if a case can be made for this pericope originating as
      > a tax protest or commentary *on the part of the author of Mark*?

      Whether or not it was invented by an evangelist (which is a separate
      issue), I don't think a _good_ case can be made for the pericope
      being a commentary on financial/economic issues of either J's time
      or Mark's time - because there doesn't seem to be anything in the
      internal logic of it that suggests that. The question was whether
      the payment of Roman taxes didn't in fact amount to a seemingly-
      objectionable "giving tribute to Caesar", and it's framed in that
      way. This has nothing to do that I can see with either a shortage
      or "debasing" of the denarius. That the question of taxes was
      primarily a religious issue for Christians can be seen from Mt.17:24-
      27, where the author is concerned with answering the question of
      whether Jesus paid the Temple tax - a "son of God" being presumably
      exempt from such taxation. (Matthew evades the issue by the silly
      little device of having Peter catch a fish with a coin in its mouth
      sufficient to pay the Temple tax for both himself and Jesus. I think
      even the miracle-believers shake their heads at that one). Back to
      the tribute pericope, I don't see anything in the internal logic of
      it which would indicate that it's anything other than a religious
      issue being raised - one that would have been of some importance to
      both Jewish and Hellenistic Christians.

      Mike Grondin
      Mt. Clemens, MI