[XTalk] Re: Dating Paul

  • swallison <dermarc@chartertn.net>
    Message 1 of 38 , Feb 2, 2003
      --- In crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Raynal" <scudi1@c...>
      wrote:...............
      > ......... And thank you very much, but Coptic
      > Christianity is quite alive and well! As a matter of fact ............
      > Gordon Raynal
      > Inman, SC

      Gordon,

      I was intrigued by your mention of Coptic Christianity. Due to my
      ignorance I could not perceive how they fit into the thread. I seem
      to recall that they are something called "monophysite". I had thought
      that was some wording change on the Trinity formula or some such.
      Would be interested to learn more about this. Thanks

      Steve Allison
    • mwgrondin <mwgrondin@comcast.net>
      Message 38 of 38 , Feb 8, 2003
        (from the site you mentioned):
        "Half Shekel - the currency of the Jerusalem Temple
        At the Great Temple in Jerusalem the annual tax levied on Jews
        was 1/2 shekel per male. The 1/2 shekel and shekel were ... the
        only coins accepted by the temple."

        Richard-

        I'm confused. The Tyrean half-shekel contained an image of Melqarth,
        yet it was acceptable at the Temple? Practically speaking, it may
        have been the most stable non-Roman currency, but I was under the
        impression that the reason the Herodian coinage - as well the shekel
        minted 66-70 by Jewish revolutionaries - contained no human image,
        was a supposed ban on "graven images". What's the story? Money win
        out over principle, no such principle, or was the principle not so
        simplistic?

        Regards,
        Mike Grondin
        Mt. Clemens, MI