Re: [XTalk] Re: Dating Luke/Acts

  • Stephen C. Carlson
    Message 1 of 38 , Feb 1, 2003
      At 07:26 PM 2/1/03 -0000, Don Smith <donsmith@...> wrote:
      >Just to be clear, one Jesus Seminar scholar wrote a paper dating Acts
      >to about 115. The vote of the fellows, however, was strongly in
      >favour of Acts being written in response to Marcion (.78=Red).

      Due to a mathematical quirk in the Jesus Seminar's vote
      evaluation formula, it is possible for certain outcomes
      in the 0.75-0.83 range to have a minority of red votes.
      Had the formula been fixed, it should have been reported
      as pink.

      Stephen Carlson
      --
      Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...
    • mwgrondin <mwgrondin@comcast.net>
      Message 38 of 38 , Feb 8, 2003
        (from the site you mentioned):
        "Half Shekel - the currency of the Jerusalem Temple
        At the Great Temple in Jerusalem the annual tax levied on Jews
        was 1/2 shekel per male. The 1/2 shekel and shekel were ... the
        only coins accepted by the temple."

        Richard-

        I'm confused. The Tyrean half-shekel contained an image of Melqarth,
        yet it was acceptable at the Temple? Practically speaking, it may
        have been the most stable non-Roman currency, but I was under the
        impression that the reason the Herodian coinage - as well the shekel
        minted 66-70 by Jewish revolutionaries - contained no human image,
        was a supposed ban on "graven images". What's the story? Money win
        out over principle, no such principle, or was the principle not so
        simplistic?

        Regards,
        Mike Grondin
        Mt. Clemens, MI