Re: Tribute payment

  • RSBrenchley@aol.com
    Message 1 of 35 , Jan 30, 2003
      crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com writes:

      > You'll want to have a look at the article on (and I'm working from
      > memory here, so the title may not be exact) "the Coin on the Tribute
      > Tax" in _Jesus and the Politics of his Day_ ed. Bammel and (I think)
      > Moule.
      >
      > When I have time I'll find the exact reference. But the poll/head tax
      > had to be paid in the Roman denarius.
      >
      > Yours,
      >
      > Jeffrey

      Thanks very much for the replies. I've been asked to co-author an article
      on the so-called 'tribute penny'; I don't know whether you're aware of the
      appalling hype surrounding Tiberius denarii and other 'Biblical' coins in
      some coin collecting circles, but this is partly a result of irritation. I
      intend to argue, among other things, that its impossible to be certain
      exactly what coin is referred to. Thanks again.

      Regards,

      Robert Brenchley
      Birmingham, UK
    • mwgrondin <mwgrondin@comcast.net>
      Message 35 of 35 , Feb 4, 2003
        --- RSBrenchley wrote:
        > Obviously, they were almost all paying the tax; significant
        > evasion would have brought about action by the Romans, of which
        > we have no record at this time. In practice, therefore, they did
        > not object, whatever private doubts they may have had.

        It was evidently important to provide a justification for complying
        - perhaps because there were Jewish/Christian factions who argued
        that they shouldn't comply. I perceive the tribute pericope as
        essentially providing a legal ruling on a real dispute between
        various factions - either within Judaism or within Christianity,
        or both. Whether it's based on an authentic scene from J's life,
        however, or whether the "Herodians" and "Pharisees" in the tale
        might be stand-ins for later Christian groups, seems not clearly
        decidable.

        > Isn't it possible, though, that an insignificant Messianic
        > group might have slipped through the net, and evaded the tax
        > on conscientious grounds?
        >
        > Could Revelation 13:16-17 be adduced as evidence of the avoidance
        > of image-bearing coin in the EC?

        That passage seems to indicate that everybody (presumably including
        Christians) _did_ use image-bearing coins - though maybe the author
        disapproved of what he saw as hypocrisy among his brethren.

        Mike Grondin
        Mt. Clemens, MI