Re: [XTalk] Re: Tomb Essay - Comments?

  • Karel Hanhart
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 21, 2003
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Peter Kirby <kirby@...>
      To: <crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, January 20, 2003 11:45 AM
      Subject: Re: [XTalk] Re: Tomb Essay - Comments?

      > On Monday 20 January 2003 02:24 am, Karel Hanhart wrote:
      > Dear Karel Hanhart,

      > My e-mail address is kirby@..., but I am more than happy to
      carry on
      > a discussion on this list.

      Dear Peter,

      Thank you for a prompt reply and your E-mail address. I wasn't aware that
      Amazon doesn't have copies in store any more. You may try the (Benedictine)
      Liturgical Press, Collegeville MN 56321. FAX 1-800-445-5899. I'm sorry
      to say it's some 600 pages. Thank you also for the brief summary below. I
      fully agree with your conclusion that we donot know what happened to
      Jesus' dead body. Montefiore, whom I cited (perhaps you did as well), agreed
      with your assesment : "either the body of Jesus was left to rot on the
      cross,
      or the body of Jesus was consigned to a criminal's shallow grave".
      My main argumentation I have given asa follows.

      > I have not heard of your book until today. I have just done an Amazon
      search
      > and found this: The Open Tomb: A New Approach, Mark's Passover Haggadah
      (Ca.
      > 72 C.E), published 1995. It appears to be out of print.
      >
      > You say that "Kirby . . . maintains the view that the women did find
      Jesus'
      > tomb empty." Was the word "not" dropped by accident in this sentence?

      Probably - the message fell off my screen and I couldn't establish HTML
      contact
      afterwards. The point I made referred to Mark's citation of LXX Isa 22:16
      and
      his having written a post-70 midrash with reference to the
      destroyed temple as the new ending of a pre-70 Passover Gospel.

      In
      > the introduction, I outline the hypothesis which I defend as plausible:
      "This
      > reconstruction will be outlined here. Either the body of Jesus was left to
      > rot on the cross, or the body of Jesus was consigned to a criminal's
      shallow
      > grave. Either way, the followers of Jesus did not have access to the body
      > after the crucifixion. The followers of Jesus returned to Galilee after
      the
      > Passover. While in Galilee, Peter and other disciples experienced visions
      of
      > Jesus and came to believe that Jesus had been raised to the right hand of
      the
      > Father. Believing that Jesus would soon be coming to establish the Kingdom
      of
      > God, the disciples returned to Jerusalem in order to await his coming and
      > spread the gospel. While they may have believed that Jesus had risen
      > physically and may have answered that the grave of Jesus must have been
      > emptied if asked, the basis of the resurrection belief was the visions,
      and
      > there were no traditions of the discovery of an empty tomb in the
      fledgling
      > church. The story of the empty tomb was the invention of the author of
      Mark,

      crosstalk2-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com