Evidences of burial after crucifixion: Exception or Rule?

  • LeeEdgarTyler@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 14, 2003
      Brian,

      As I have to prepare two new syllabi and edit a forthcoming book on Tiresias
      between now and next Wednesday I'm going to have to hit the high points as I
      perceive them. After the flood, I'll try to respond to the rest of your
      points, and I invite you to bring to the fore anything essential you think
      I'm overlooking.

      In a message dated 1/14/2003 1:07:49 AM Central Standard Time,
      bj_traff@... writes:

      > ET:
      > >What we have is evidence--both textual
      > >and archaeological--that the Romans routinely denied burial to *all*
      > >their crucified criminals *everywhere,* and that exceptions to this
      > >policy were very few and far between.

      Brian

      > This is demonstrably false, and I have addressed this elsewhere.

      Actually, you haven't: You have demonstrated that exceptions were made,
      which we all know and acknowledge. What I want to see is evidence that
      criminals were *routinely* afforded burial. Even the gospels refute you on
      this point: They show that it took a prominent man, who was willing to place
      himself in some jeopardy, going to the highest Roman official in the land,
      who conducted a comprehensive if brief inquiry before granting the request
      for the burial. It does not follow that, if burial were routine as you
      claim, it would take a member of the Sanhedrin and the approval of the Roman
      governor to turn the body of Jesus over for burial. So the gospels
      themselves make the case that if Jesus were buried, it was one of the rare
      exceptions.

      Ed Tyler