Burial in a tomb?

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 9, 2003
      Kevin O'Brien on John_Lit cites some evidence that I hadn't heard discussed
      before:

      >To: <johannine_literature@yahoogroups.com>
      >From: "Kevin O'Brien" <symeon@...>
      >Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 15:32:02 +1100
      >Subject: [John_Lit] Jesus' mother Mary and Golgotha
      >
      >... I have evidence, implicit and explicit, that drives the fairly
      >late (Julius Paulus Digest Bk. 47.12.11 (ca. 200 AD); also see Digest Bk.
      >48.24.3.34) evidence of family members being present at a crucifixion of a
      >fellow family member back to pre-70 AD.
      >
      > In a Jewish family tomb complex dated precisely from ca. 7 AD -66
      > AD (in the URL below) excavated in June 1968 in northern Jerusalem at
      > Giv'at ha-mivtah, one ossuary within contained bones of a crucified man
      > aged 24-28 with the name of Jehohanan ben hgqwl inscribed on the ossuary
      > -- evidently a son of some Jewish family. You can check these details on
      > http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/religion/jesus/crucifixion.html).
      > From remarkeable archeological data reported in this URL I will develop
      > the relatives issue which underlay and form part of the circumstances
      > concerning Jehohanan's death and burial. As only Romans at the time of
      > Jesus in the Roman Empire exacted that terrible form of capital
      > punishment (Herod Antipas preferred beheading as becomes a "fox"),
      > evidently the then Roman praefect or governor (one candidate being
      > Pilate!) allowed family members of Jehohanan to take charge of his
      > remains in order for the former to inter him in the family tomb. That was
      > in northern Jerusalem near Mt. Scopus and the ancient road to Nablus. In
      > this case, although crucified, Jehohanan's body evidently was not
      > consigned nearby the execution scene to a common burial dump nor lime pit
      > nor left on the cross for the birds as carrion etc. How common was such
      > permission given? In answer: I think it was one of the liberties granted
      > Jews and expected by them from the Pax Romana under Augustus (see below).
      >
      >...Family members along with any close relatives would have to be very
      >near the crucifixion scene either while he was being crucified or its
      >immediate aftermath in order to receive the body. As the tomb was dated
      >7-66 AD, it is evident that the latest he was crucified was AD 65 when the
      >Romans were not then ejected from the Antonia and the twelve month
      >interval between the first burial and the bones deposited in the
      >ossuary.
      >
      > If his wife or mother was distanced "afar" from Jehohanan but at
      > Golgotha (ten or twenty or at the most thirty yards) that would have
      > come about I suggest from their incessant bewailing and mourning mantra
      > for Jehohanan. Hard-bitten executioners would hardly brook such for long.
      > It follows from all this that the evidence of Julius Paulus on this issue
      > is driven back no less than one hundred and thirty five years at least to
      > ca. 65 AD! ...

      This evidence, if confirmed and accurate, would be much more important to
      historical Jesus studies than the James Ossuary, as it directly contradicts
      the picture Crossan and others regard as standard operating procedure with
      crucifixions at the time of Jesus' crucifixion. For example, Crossan and
      others have been disregarding the unanimous testimony about Jesus' burial
      in a tomb by asserting that there is no evidence that anything like this
      ever happened.

      Am I missing something here? Has the date of this tomb, or other aspects of
      its interpretation, been challenged? Am I being foggy headed this morning
      and have missed something, or read too much into O'Brien's commentary?

      Bob Schacht