Early Christian Commentary on Mark

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 3, 2003
      Does any one have a copy of the Eerdmans Volume in the Early Christian
      Commentary series on GMark. For the life of me, I cannot locate my own
      and I want to see what the EC fathers took to be and said about Mk.
      9:38-39.

      Peter Kirby -- do you know what the earliest ECF citation of, or
      earliest Lectionary reference to, this verse was and what form the text
      has?

      With thanks in advance,

      Jeffrey Gibson

      --
      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)
      1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 3, 2003
        Jeffrey,

        I have a copy. Only Augustine is mentioned. He treats v.39 under the
        merciful works of the unbaptized who are seen as not losing their reward and
        of more profit than those who bear the name of Christ but fail to live
        accordingly (Harmony of the Gospels, 4.6); v.39b: on the breadth of
        catholicity whereby "something catholic" may be found outside the church
        catholic (On Baptism, Against the Donatists, 7.39 (36)). V.39: don't forbid
        him: advising Dardanus not to be disturbed by some who outside the church do
        some works of power, but to let be as Christ did in this case since the
        unknown exorcist's works testified to his name; A. also cites the angel
        appearing to Cornelius (Letter, to Dardanus, 187.36); finally, he apparently
        appeals to this passage when warning against judgmental excess by those
        intent on severe disciplinary principles; such folk are blind and separated
        from the unity of Christ (Faith and Works 4.6).

        Regards
        Rikk

        on 1/3/03 3:13 PM, Jeffrey B. Gibson at jgibson000@... wrote:

        > Does any one have a copy of the Eerdmans Volume in the Early Christian
        > Commentary series on GMark. For the life of me, I cannot locate my own
        > and I want to see what the EC fathers took to be and said about Mk.
        > 9:38-39.
        >
        > Peter Kirby -- do you know what the earliest ECF citation of, or
        > earliest Lectionary reference to, this verse was and what form the text
        > has?
        >
        > With thanks in advance,
        >
        > Jeffrey Gibson
        >
        > --
        > Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)
        > 1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
        > Floor 1
        > Chicago, Illinois 60626
        > e-mail jgibson000@...
        > jgibson000@...

        > List managers may be contacted directly at: crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com

        Dr. Rikk E. Watts (Cantab) Ph. (604) 224 3245
        Associate Professor of NT Fax. (604) 224 3097
        Regent College
        5800 University Boulevard, Vancouver, V6T 2E4
      • Peter Kirby
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 3, 2003
          On Friday 03 January 2003 03:13 pm, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:
          > Does any one have a copy of the Eerdmans Volume in the Early Christian
          > Commentary series on GMark. For the life of me, I cannot locate my own
          > and I want to see what the EC fathers took to be and said about Mk.
          > 9:38-39.
          >
          > Peter Kirby -- do you know what the earliest ECF citation of, or
          > earliest Lectionary reference to, this verse was and what form the text
          > has?

          Hi,

          I checked my e-Catena, and I didn't find any reference from the Ante-Nicene
          Fathers to Mark 9:38-39.

          For those who aren't aware of the tool, here is the URL:

          http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/e-catena/

          --
          Peter Kirby (Student at Fullerton College, CA)
          5:29pm up 6:40, Mandrake Linux 9.0, kernel 2.4.19-16mdk on AMD Athlon 750