Re: Eternal life, Salvation, and the Kingdom of God

  • thomaskopecek <kopecekt@central.edu>
    Message 1 of 36 , Jan 3, 2003
      --- In crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com, Bob Schacht
      <bobschacht@i...> wrote:

      > >Compare Mark 9:43: If your hand causes you to stumble, cut it
      > >off; it is better for you to enter life maimed than to have two
      hands
      > >and to go to Gehenna, to the unquenchable fire. 45 And if your
      > >foot causes you to stumble, cut it off; it is better for you to
      enter
      > >life lame than to have two feet and to be thrown into Gehenna.
      > >47 And if your eye causes you to stumble, tear it out; it is
      > >better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than
      > >have two eyes and to be thrown into Gehenna, 48 where their
      > >worm never dies, and the fire is never quenched.
      >
      > Interesting parallel: "Life" in vs. 43 = "eternal life"? And vs. 47
      > mentions entering the Kingdom of God. And one could argue
      that the idea of
      > salvation is implicit, so Mark seems more interested in this
      connection
      > than the others.
      >
      > Entering the Kingdom of God is mentioned by Mark in these
      two contexts
      > (quoted above.) Luke uses only one of these passages, and
      John has only one
      > in another context. Matthew, however, besides having the first
      parallel,
      > mentions entering the Kingdom of Heaven at 5:20; 7:21; 18:3;
      19:23-- but
      > does not link it to eternal life or salvation (explicitly).

      Yes, I noticed all this in my synopsis.

      On a break today I burrowed around and so far found one
      Patristic commentary on Luke that deals with a Lukan passage
      in which KOG and "life" (though not explicitly "salvation") are
      discussed together: the commentary is by Cyril of Alexandria, a
      fifth century Father. Unfortunately the sequence I found in my
      collection doesn't focus on the Rich Man passage but rather on
      the Lord's Supper.

      I could scan it sometime and send it on to you, Bob. The Greek
      is not available to me, nor to anyone as far as I can see (the
      commentary exists mostly, if I recall correctly, in a Syriac
      translation).

      Let me know.

      Tom
      ___