Crossan and Presuppositions

  • betmark
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 28, 2002
      Crossan answered the criticicism of "seeing your own face at the bottom
      of a well" by saying that actually it is not a bad metaphor. Because if you
      look down a deep well you see that the water disturbs your face and your
      reflection disturbs the water. It is an interactive process. And that is
      what historical research necessarily is. We change the past by looking at
      it. And we are changed by our study of the past. None of us can escape
      this interactive dynamic. And Crossan is good enough to identify it as our
      destiny. Even in our choice of method, what to look at, and how. Can we
      turn the wheel on which we turn?
      Mark Rutledge
      Durham, North Carolina