Re: [XTalk] Ideological Dissonance in Thomas

  • DaGoi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 17, 2002
      In a message dated 12/10/2 4:20:49 PM, Ted wrote:

      << I have been struck lately by what I can only gauge as (1) an
      anti-Judean-cult orientation in the Gospel of Thomas and (2) the existence of
      an ideological dissonance resulting from the Gospel’s high esteem for James
      the Just vis-a-vis the Gospel’s anti-Judean-cult orientation. I draw
      attention first to the anti-Judean-cult orientation in the following sayings
      attributed to Jesus (English translation by Hans-Gebhard Bethge et al, in
      Stephen J. Patterson and James M. Robinson’s _The Fifth Gospel_).

      I. Contra Fasting, Almsgiving, Prayer

      [snip]

      II. Contra Dietary Laws

      [snip]

      III. Contra Purity Codes and Proscription against Association with Unclean

      [snip]

      IV. Contra Circumcision

      [snip]

      V. Contra Temple

      [snip]

      VI. Contra Fifth Commandment on Honoring Parents

      [snip]

      III. Contra Judeans

      [snip]

      Now I know of no one in the early Jesus movements more supportive of and more
      defensive of the Judean cultic heritage than James, the brother of Jesus.
      Just ask Paul about that. How is it then that this ideological dissonance
      exists in the Gospel of Thomas: on the one hand, it is emphatically
      anti-Judean cult and on the other, and opposite, hand, it extravagantly
      extols James, the most noted defender of the Judean cultic heritage in the
      early Church?

      Any thoughts?