Bibliography request

  • LeeEdgarTyler@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 16, 2002
      James Jefferson requested off list that I provide some bibliography regarding
      the transmission of tales; I get the dread "Mailer-Daemon" returned mail when
      I try to respond personally, so I'll provide them to the list at large. They
      are, after all, the sort of thing that everyone who wants to discuss oral
      transmission of narratives should be familiar with.

      I have on my desktop a few from the Balkan tradition. I'll have to provide
      the rest later, as I'm traveling early tomorrow and will be on the road for a
      couple of days.

      Vuk Stefanovic Karadzhic recorded the following tales in the 1840s and 1850s.
      He did not keep detailed records of the exact dates. They were collected
      again, substantially unchanged, in the mid 20th Century, as indicated. All
      are at least as long and complex as any of the parables under discussion.

      "The Devil and his Pupil" recorded by Stulli in 1956 (dictation)
      "The Little Maiden and the Nymph" recorded by Stulli in 1964 (magnetophone)
      "The Lake at Gavanov" ditto.
      "Falsehood under Truth" ditto (also recorded in the 1880s by Aarne)
      "The Wolf and the Sheep" ditto
      "Two Oxen" ditto
      "King Norun" recorded by Stulli in 1956 (dictation)
      "The Vampire" ditto

      I've selected these because they're good form analogs to the parables. I
      have several others on hand that are either longer or shorter; and numerous
      (literally hundreds) of examples from other oral traditions. I'll have to
      address those later, as it's late here now.

      I'd refer those who are interested to the massive bibliography by John Miles
      Foley (Garland, 1983) and my two updates published in 1986 and 1988; a
      subsequent update was published in the late 1990s in the journal Oral
      Tradition, but I don't have the bibliographic data on that handy.

      I'm happy to answer any questions, on list or off.

      Ed Tyler