RE: [XTalk] conversion and magic

  • David C. Hindley
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 10, 2002
      Bob Dietel says:

      >>Dr Hindley mentions the vital "Papyri Graecae Magicae" which over its
      several editions includes any number of significant primary sources for
      Christian attitudes towards ritual power. I suggest also that an excellent
      modern collection of sources is available, Meyer & Smith's "Ancient
      Christian Magic." Meyer & Smith include several texts not in Betz's
      translation of PGM, by the way.<<

      Alas, no "Dr" here. Thanks, though, for pointing out Mayer & Smith, which I
      had not been aware of!

      It also occurred to me that examples of Jewish magic, from a somewhat later
      era but showing an astonishing overlap with Hellenistic magical formulae, is
      to be found in _Sepher ha Razim_. There was an English translation some
      years ago, but I haven't a clue how to find the Hebrew text.

      Respectfully,

      Dave Hindley
      Cleveland, Ohio, USA