Re: [XTalk] SBL discussion of James ossuary

  • turton
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2002
      >> Why the specific mention of "62 AD?" I almost came away with the
      >>impression that he calculated (with 93% confidence) that just under three persons
      >>could have had that same relationship to a father and brother *in that
      >>particular year* (i.e., 62 CE). If so, then we are no longer dealing with a 90 year
      >> period with 20 people, but a 90 year period with just under 180 people who
      >> could have had that relationship of names (with the resulting probability
      >> that the recovered ossuary is any one specific one of them dropping from
      >>5% to 0.5%). Did Fuch's research actually *expand* the pool of possible JJJs,
      >> but made it seem like it was narrowed down by shifting the interpretive
      >> parameters?

      The year -- 62 CE or 35 CE 0r 19 CE -- is really not relevant to the calculation, so long
      as it falls within the period. The data, after all, looks at trends in naming over several
      decades, so for any given year the results should be roughly the same. Naming the
      year, though, may indicate something about the agenda of the calculator.

      I read Fuchs' claims identically. It seems incredible that anyone could make such a
      statement, when it is not even known where the box comes from, or that it is linked to
      early Christianity. Even using these incredibly low numbers yielding just 3
      possibilities, it seems, over the possible lifespan of a human, that 27 JJJs must have
      lived and died in Jerusalem. I can't wait to see his assumptions.

      Michael Turton
      Chaoyang University
      Taichung, Taiwan

      Sent via the EV1 webmail system at mail.ev1.net