Re: [XTalk] Fwd: lack of imagination (was New Web Site about Jesus)

  • LAlbert
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 13, 2002
      From: Bob Schacht
      To: crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, November 11, 2002 8:22 PM
      Subject: Re: [XTalk] Fwd: lack of imagination (was New Web Site about Jesus)

      At 05:36 PM 11/9/2002 -0800, Rikk E. Watts wrote:
      >Dear Leon,
      >
      >1. Of course, a mathematician who seeks to understand the world within his
      >chosen postulates is hardly a fundamentalist. But then I wasn┬╣t talking
      >about that. However, if a mathematician, when confronted by experience that
      >truly called his geometric postulates into question, refused to budge in
      >spite of that data then yes I would regard him as acting with a
      >fundamentalist mindset....

      Actually, there is a relatively new category of geometry, "non-Euclidian,"
      such that mathematicians who only use classical Euclidian geometry (and
      they are legion) might be said to be fundamentalists. Surveyors, for example.

      Bob

      Leon: Moreover, since geometry, as a purely analytic system, does not depend on any empirical observations, no "experience" can bring its postulates into question.

      Leon