Re: [XTalk] Response from Bob Eisenman

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 2002
      From: "John Lupia" <jlupia2@...>
      To: <crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Sunday, November 03, 2002 7:15 PM
      Subject: [XTalk] Response from Bob Eisenman

      > From: "Robert Eisenman" <reisenma@...> | This is
      > Spam | Add to Address Book
      > To: "John Lupia" <jlupia2@...>
      >
      > Subject: Fw: Summary of my position
      > Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2002 16:28:12 -0800
      >

      > > Please answer your correspondent in the following
      > > manner:
      > >
      > > "I say 3rd-4th centuries because by that time the
      > > Gospels had a chance to reach their final form and
      > become widely known. Paul only calls James "the
      > brother of the Lord", whatever he means by this.

      Because the title marya would not have been unusual at all and Ya'akov as
      achuy d'marya would hhave been a normal reference for the followers of
      Jesus. A family member, however, would likely have used achuy dyeshua.

      > By
      > the way, you might note that Paul does not know a
      > second James, or at least never mentions him.

      Of course not. Ya'akov bar Zebedy, disciple and cousin known as "James, the
      greater" was killed in 42 CE. Paul did not start his epistolary efforts
      until 48 or 49 CE.

      > But I
      > have spent some thousand pages trying to answer these
      > questions, how can I answer them in one-two sentences,
      > or 'on one foot' as it were?

      Because all the rest is commentary? :)

      > As George H. W. Bush
      > said, 'read my lips' or rather, 'read my book.'

      I already have, as have many on this list. XTalk is the largest and most
      respected scholarly list on HJ and early church studies, Bob. It would be
      very helpful if you joined us. An exchange is much better than just reading
      your book whiich, as you know, provokes as many questions as it answers. As
      a fan of both Ya'akov bar Yosef, haTsaddik AND yours, I would like the
      opportunity to discuss some of those envelopes I perceive as being pushed.

      Jack