Re: [XTalk] Ah, so... Ossuary

  • Zeba Crook
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 3 6:02 AM
      A couple of nights ago, the CBC (Canada's primary television network) late news
      program The National did a very short piece on the arrival of the Ossuary to
      Toronto. In the piece they spoke, however, to John Kloppenborg about the
      authenticity of the inscription. For what it's worth, since this was a popular
      (that is undetailed) and very brief format, he too called the second half of the
      inscription a later addition, and thus thought associating the Ossuary with
      biblical James and Jesus a stretch.

      Zeb

      "Rochelle I. Altman" wrote:

      > It will also be quite difficult to explain why the first half of the inscription
      > dates to between 30 BCE and 25 CE, yet the second half supposedly dates to the
      > year after the death of James -- on no other basis then three graphs that were
      > in use through the end of the 1st CE.

      ***

      Zeba Antonin Crook (Ph.D. Cand)
      University of St. Michael's College
      Faculty of Theology
      81 St. Mary Street
      Toronto, Ontario, Canada
      M5S 1J4

      (416) 964-8629
      http://individual.utoronto.ca/zeba_crook
    • Jack Kilmon
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 4 4:38 PM
        I do have ONE red flag, so far, and that is the mention of the dirt from the
        cave still clinging to the box, dirt that was analyzed. Yet this ossuary is
        supposed to have been around for 15 years, passed from the looter to the
        antiquities dealer and then bought by Golan. That soil would have been gone
        long ago. I suspect that this box was looted recently and the earlier date
        is being claimed to avoid the Israeli Antiquities law passed in 1978 that
        would make the box the property of the Israeli government. IF the box, as
        it would seem, was looted recently, it may be possible to trace it back to
        recover its contents.

        Jack
      • David C. Hindley
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 4 5:30 PM
          Jack,

          What, exactly, would we *do* with those contents? While I know that bones
          can be subject to C14 analysis, and DNA can be sometimes be recovered from
          them, I don't know if that will answer any questions.

          Respectfully,

          Dave Hindley
          Cleveland, Ohio, USA

          PS: On Star Trek TNG (a science fiction TV show for the bookworms among us),
          a faction of the warlike Klingons cloned their first emperor from DNA on a
          knife he had used to seal the unification covenant with his blood. When they
          sprung him on the people as the emperor redivivus, they all got real excited
          due to the apparent fulfillment of long-held religious expectations, yet in
          the end ended up saying "So what!" He was relegated to the role of a
          figurehead, exactly the role that the HJ plays in Christianity now. Can't we
          just skip the hysteria? <G>
        • Jack Kilmon
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 4 7:16 PM
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 4 8:42 PM
              At 09:16 PM 11/4/2002 -0600, Jack Kilmon wrote:

> [...]

              C-14 would probably be the least interesting result, even if possible,
              because the wide error margin is likely. Better yet would be the analysis
              of microfauna and microflora still in the dirt found in the corners, if
              there was any such. That sort of thing might reveal something about where
              the ossuary had been buried, and other things of interest. Archaeology
              these days can do a lot with a little.