RE: [XTalk] Ossuary damaged?

  • David C. Hindley
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2002
      Jack Kilmon asks:

      >>The Ossuary has been damaged in shipping to Toronto. How in the
      pluperfect hell could that have happened?<<

      Dan Rahimi, director of Toronto's Royal Ontario Museum's collections
      management department, says the "ossuary is valued at about $2 million."* It
      was almost certainly insured.

      * http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/news/4423875.htm (link is thanks to
      James Covey's post)

      >> What did they do? Send it Fed-X?<<

      In the URL supplied above, Rahimi also said "the owner, a private collector
      in Jerusalem, had packed and sent the ossuary to Toronto."

      I wonder, though, whether the Paris based Andre Lemaire Art & Antiquities
      Gallery** had any hand in the shipping? I didn't know that Lemaire has some
      connection with the antique market. Or is the name a coincidence? I ask
      because this apparent connection raised one of those little red flags -
      again.

      ** http://www.franceantiq.fr/sna/Lemaire/uk.htm

      Respectfully,

      Dave Hindley