Re: Re: [XTalk] Ossuary of "JAMES": Why was "brother of Jesus" written?

  • DaGoi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 37 , Nov 2, 2002
      In a message dated 10/31/2 10:59:42 PM, Ed wrote:

      <<I for one would not find it surprising if James the Just was accommodated
      in
      such a manner. Assuming that the family came from Galilee as the Gospels
      say, I doubt that they'd have a tomb in Jerusalem, and something had to be
      done with his remains.>>

      First off, I suppose that the number of graves is a function not only of
      population density, as one has stated, but also that people wanted to be
      buried around Jerusalem, on like holy ground.

      Secondly, I'm not sure of the connections between the Mount of Olive (xian)
      ossurarys and Bethany, whether these were just assumed because of the names
      or whatever, but neither Bethany nor Bethlehem is as far away from Jerusalem
      as Galilee. That there was some tenuous relationship of the family with
      Bethlehem is stated in the literature at a time when the family and those who
      knew about it most probably was extent (see our previous discussion on the
      probable persistence of the family). These were Galileans, but were related
      to the area.

      assuming of course that this is the correct area for the contextless ossuary.

      Bill Foley
      Woburn
    • DaGoi@aol.com