Re: [XTalk] Ossuary damaged?

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2002
      ----------
      >From: Bob Schacht <bobschacht@...>
      >To: crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [XTalk] Ossuary damaged?
      >Date: 1, Nov 2002, 9:29 PM
      >

      >At 07:54 PM 11/1/2002 -0400, James Covey wrote:
      >>http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/front/RTGAM/20021101/wcrac
      k0111/Fron
      >t/homeBN/breakingnews
      >
      >Now there's a fitting URL (note the "word" at the end.)
      >
      >Thanks for the links, James.
      >Bob

      Nice one, Bob:)! For a touch more humor... check out the tabloids at the
      grocery store this week. The Weekly World News reports the discovery of
      Jesus' Sandals;)! Wonder if they'll be on display in Toronto?

      Gordon Raynal
      Inman, SC
    • David C. Hindley
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2002
        Jack Kilmon asks:

        >>The Ossuary has been damaged in shipping to Toronto. How in the
        pluperfect hell could that have happened?<<

        Dan Rahimi, director of Toronto's Royal Ontario Museum's collections
        management department, says the "ossuary is valued at about $2 million."* It
        was almost certainly insured.

        * http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/news/4423875.htm (link is thanks to
        James Covey's post)

        >> What did they do? Send it Fed-X?<<

        In the URL supplied above, Rahimi also said "the owner, a private collector
        in Jerusalem, had packed and sent the ossuary to Toronto."

        I wonder, though, whether the Paris based Andre Lemaire Art & Antiquities
        Gallery** had any hand in the shipping? I didn't know that Lemaire has some
        connection with the antique market. Or is the name a coincidence? I ask
        because this apparent connection raised one of those little red flags -
        again.

        ** http://www.franceantiq.fr/sna/Lemaire/uk.htm

        Respectfully,

        Dave Hindley