Re: Re: [XTalk] Ossuary of James? lack of title

  • DaGoi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 22, 2002
      In a message dated 10/22/2 7:18:22 AM, Ted wrote:

      <<Would any member of the Jerusalem Church, particularly
      in the 60s, not have appended some title to Jesus out of reverence? The
      lack of such a title makes me suspicious of the ossuary's authenticity as
      the final "resting place" of James the brother of Jesus.

      Hmm. perhaps. But this is said to be his brother of course, which implies a
      more casual relationship in life. You're right tho; even Josephus mentioned
      'called Christ', in a work written later.
      But turned around, perhaps this rather further points to the earliness of
      the relic, that James his brother would be identified without referring to
      the title's of Jesus. Neither does it say "This is James the Just".

      Bill Foley
      Woburn
    • Patrick Narkinsky
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 22, 2002
        Thus spake "DaGoi@..."> :

        > Hmm. perhaps. But this is said to be his brother of course, which implies a
        > more casual relationship in life. You're right tho; even Josephus mentioned
        > 'called Christ', in a work written later.
        > But turned around, perhaps this rather further points to the earliness of
        > the relic, that James his brother would be identified without referring to
        > the title's of Jesus. Neither does it say "This is James the Just".

        I wonder what impact the situation in Jerusalem ca. 62 would have on this?
        I could imagine that there would be a certain reticence to speak of Jesus as
        "Christ", as this carried some heavy political overtones at a time when the
        country was rushing headlong into a futile war with Rome. This might be
        especially true since James had been stoned for political reasons.

        (Just an idea.)

        Patrick Narkinsky
        Newport News, VA
      • laymantwo
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 22, 2002
          --- In crosstalk2@y..., Patrick Narkinsky <patrick@w...> wrote:
          > I wonder what impact the situation in Jerusalem ca. 62 would have on
          this?
          > I could imagine that there would be a certain reticence to speak of
          Jesus as
          > "Christ", as this carried some heavy political overtones at a time
          when the
          > country was rushing headlong into a futile war with Rome. This
          might be
          > especially true since James had been stoned for political reasons.
          >
          > (Just an idea.)
          >
          > Patrick Narkinsky
          > Newport News, VA

          Especially if James had been killed for making Christological claims.

          Interesting point.

          C.E. Price
          Los Angeles, CA