Re: RE: [XTalk] Mark

  • DaGoi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 28 , Oct 8, 2002
      In a message dated 10/06/2 1:22:53 AM, Dave wrote:

      <<Bill Foley says:

      >>Paul at one point had thought Mark was a good for nothing - the issue
      separated Paul and Barnabas - and a reconciliation of sorts was effected
      only by Peter shoving Mark down Paul's throat, but some readers of the
      letters of Paul may still have mixed feelings about Mark.<<

      Where do you get that? "And Barnabas wanted to take with them John called
      Mark. But Paul thought best not to take with them one who had withdrawn from
      them in Pamphylia, and had not gone with them to the work. And there arose a
      sharp contention, so that they separated from each other; Barnabas took Mark
      with him and sailed away to Cyprus, but Paul chose Silas and departed, being
      commended by the brethren to the grace of the Lord." [RSV Acts 15:37-40]

      The only way you can imagine that Mark was "shoved" down Paul's throat by
      Peter is to read it into Acts 12:25, but the disagreement came after this
      event, not before it. >>

      I was thinking more in terms of 1Pt where Peter from the Babylonian Diaspora
      writes to Galatia et al with Mark and Silas, presumably when Paul's in prison
      in Israel. I see Paul has already come to terms with Peter's behavior he
      dissed in his letter to the Galatians - note the turnaround between this and
      the implied behavior he suggests towards the weaker brother in 1Cor(?) and
      Romans, but his strong opinion against Mark may - but maybe not - persisted
      until Paul's Jerusalem visit and after. Of course it's unknown how Peter and
      Mark got together

      << >>Mark probably does not get out from under the dark cloud Paul put him in
      until he manages to send Revelations to the seven churches (assuming that
      the gMk is not truncated because of his death before he finished his
      gospel).<<

      I'm definitely lost now. What Revelations? What seven churches? Are you
      suggesting on the basis of Acts 12:25 ("And Barnabas and Saul returned from
      Jerusalem when they had fulfilled their mission, bringing with them John
      whose other name was Mark") that Mark was the John who wrote (at least) the
      part of the book of Revelation (2:1-3:22) that dealt with the seven
      churches?>>

      I was wondering if John, stressed and possibly sent a revelation, could have
      written the Apocalypse. I was going to, and maybe will someday, go over
      exactly what his pattern is when he gets stressed, like in the 2 and 3 John
      letters which I take as being written in flight. So I read (and am still
      reading) vol. 4 of the Moulton Grammar of the NT Gk, Style, by Turner who
      time and again shows that Revelations style is more like Mark than the other
      books in the NT, so I'm going to be examining, if I can, whether Mark (yes,
      John Mark - thanks for the reference) could be stressed enough to write this
      way instead.

      Originally who wrote Rev was like the pile of old electronics in my
      attic, a toy for my retirement - I'm pretty much busy with wondering whether
      Clem Alex wrote gThom, and examining the textual criticism of the General
      Epistles, wondering if I can show a history of the anthology (I'll have some
      preliminary thoughts on this soon to ask you to pick apart to reality check
      my methods), but there's probably enough motive force in the Mk/Rev subject
      to kick it around a little, and it seemed to fit in as an aside to the g4
      canon post of what's up with gMk. Sorry I'm not more definite on this, and
      there appears to be more to it than it may first appear, though my Greek is
      not really as advanced as to do it justice yet. I think anyone who has the
      background can do all of our retirements a favor by giving the idea a
      definite heave ho, but otherwise for now I can only give Turner's work plus
      my own connections (which I think he has easily in hand but is too
      conservative to make).

      Bill Foley
      Woburn