Re: [XTalk] Weeden's New Thesis

  • Ted Weeden
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 6, 2002
      Zebra Cook wrote on Sunday, October 06:

      > Donald Capps has written a book (Jesus: A Psychological Biography. St.
      Louis: Chalice Press, 2000) in which he makes a similar sounding claim,
      namely Jesus' bastard status (with respect not to a Roman soldier but to not
      having a human father!) left him psychologically prone to certain things.
      This book is useful not because of what it does well (which in my opinion is
      very little) but because of how it illustrates the risks of cross-cultural
      psychology. There has been some very interesting and important work done on
      the assumptions involved in cross-cultural psychology, and how untenable and
      ethnocentric they are (Schweder 1991; Schweder and Levine 1984; Bock 1988;
      Squire 2000). I'll leave it at that in case this is not where you were
      planning to go with this!

      Thank you, Zeb, for bringing Capps book to my attention.

      Ted Weeden