Newly published books on Jesus

  • Bob Webb
    Message 1 of 48 , Oct 5, 2002
      Since a number of members of this discussion group are publishing
      academics, I would like to invite those who publish a book relating to the
      historical Jesus, or a related subject, please arrange to have your
      publisher send a review copy to the new _Journal for the Study of the
      Historical Jesus_.

      They can send it to me at the address below.

      Steve Davies, it was the discussion concerning your new book which reminded
      me to draw this to the attention of the list members.

      Bob

      Robert L. Webb, Ph.D. Journal
      E-Mail: JSHJ@...
      Research Professor of New Testament
      Editor, Journal for the Study of the Historical Jesus
      Tyndale Seminary
      25 Ballyconnor Court
      Toronto, ON M2M 4B3
      Canada
    • Ted Weeden
      Message 48 of 48 , Oct 15, 2002
        Bill Arnal wrote on Friday, October 11, 2002:

        > I DON'T
        > want to restrict my understanding of Mark to the internal developments of
        > Christian ideology in his time, but want to see how external,
        non-Christian,
        > and especially quotidian matters shape those internal developments.
        > Knowledge of local issues can be VERY important for this, but it NEED not
        be
        > the crux of the matter. Just as a for-instance, my reading of Mark
        suggests
        > to me that ambiguities about ethnic definitions, and the consequences of
        > these ambiguities for traditional self-conceptions are very much a feature
        > of his context. I can say that, I think, even if I have NO idea where Mark
        > was written, and no idea whether Mark, or his original audience, were Jews
        > -- whether the author is from Rome or Alexandria or Caesarea Philippi,
        > whether he is a Jew or a Gentile, the text itself convinces me of this
        > contextual point. It would be NICE to be more specific about it, more
        local.
        > But since the phenomenon is one we can associate with Hellenism general,
        or
        > indeed with imperialism generally, this specification need not be present
        > for some sort of hypothesis to be constructed which attempts to link Mark
        > with this particualr type of "situational incongruity" and to explain his
        > theological agenda, his conflicts with other Christians, and so on, at
        least
        > partly in terms of his response to this circumstance.
        >
        > >Then
        > >the issue is: location! location! location!. Have I understood you
        > >correctly? Or have I missed your point again?
        >
        > Yes, you've understood me, with the single caveat that "location" need not
        > refer here to a specific place, but to whatever features of relevant
        > (external) context can be conjured up.
        >
        > >Assuming that I have, and this is your point, in the next couple of >days
        > >want to present an "essay," in which I will link what is going on in >the
        > >Caesarea Philippi region in the late 60s CE with the clues that the
        >Markan
        > >text
        >
        > Excellent! Yeah, this is just the sort of thing I'm thinking about, and
        > looking for. I look forward to your comments.

        Bill, I regret that I have not as yet been able to finish the essay I
        mention above. I thought I would have done so by now. But it is taking
        longer than I thought. I also leave for the Jesus Seminar on Thursday and
        have 13 papers to digest before the meeting. I hope next week, baring the
        unforeseen, I will get something out to you and others.

        Thanks for your interest and encouragement.

        Ted