Re: [XTalk] Re: Mark

  • William Arnal
    Message 1 of 48 , Oct 3, 2002
      Steve Davies wrote:

      >Gee. I haven't been called "fresh" since grade school when they used
      >to smack me upside the head for it. I'm glad you like the book
      >though. Isn't it pretty! All purple and pale blue.

      It IS pretty! Looks great. I somehow got a copy sent to me. If this is your
      doing, Steve, thanks.

      Bill again
      ___________________________
      William Arnal
      Department of Religious Studies
      University of Regina
      Regina, Saskatchewan S4S 0A2

    • Ted Weeden
      Message 48 of 48 , Oct 15, 2002
        Bill Arnal wrote on Friday, October 11, 2002:

        > I DON'T
        > want to restrict my understanding of Mark to the internal developments of
        > Christian ideology in his time, but want to see how external,
        non-Christian,
        > and especially quotidian matters shape those internal developments.
        > Knowledge of local issues can be VERY important for this, but it NEED not
        be
        > the crux of the matter. Just as a for-instance, my reading of Mark
        suggests
        > to me that ambiguities about ethnic definitions, and the consequences of
        > these ambiguities for traditional self-conceptions are very much a feature
        > of his context. I can say that, I think, even if I have NO idea where Mark
        > was written, and no idea whether Mark, or his original audience, were Jews
        > -- whether the author is from Rome or Alexandria or Caesarea Philippi,
        > whether he is a Jew or a Gentile, the text itself convinces me of this
        > contextual point. It would be NICE to be more specific about it, more
        local.
        > But since the phenomenon is one we can associate with Hellenism general,
        or
        > indeed with imperialism generally, this specification need not be present
        > for some sort of hypothesis to be constructed which attempts to link Mark
        > with this particualr type of "situational incongruity" and to explain his
        > theological agenda, his conflicts with other Christians, and so on, at
        least
        > partly in terms of his response to this circumstance.
        >
        > >Then
        > >the issue is: location! location! location!. Have I understood you
        > >correctly? Or have I missed your point again?
        >
        > Yes, you've understood me, with the single caveat that "location" need not
        > refer here to a specific place, but to whatever features of relevant
        > (external) context can be conjured up.
        >
        > >Assuming that I have, and this is your point, in the next couple of >days
        > >want to present an "essay," in which I will link what is going on in >the
        > >Caesarea Philippi region in the late 60s CE with the clues that the
        >Markan
        > >text
        >
        > Excellent! Yeah, this is just the sort of thing I'm thinking about, and
        > looking for. I look forward to your comments.

        Bill, I regret that I have not as yet been able to finish the essay I
        mention above. I thought I would have done so by now. But it is taking
        longer than I thought. I also leave for the Jesus Seminar on Thursday and
        have 13 papers to digest before the meeting. I hope next week, baring the
        unforeseen, I will get something out to you and others.

        Thanks for your interest and encouragement.

        Ted