Re: [XTalk] "Jews"; was: Rules of evidence

  • William Arnal
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 23, 2002
      Steve Black wrote:

      >also a cultural thing. In addition I *disagree* when you say that
      >this is about trying to 'distance "the Xn story" from anti-Semitism'
      >(although I prefer "anti-Judaism" in this context) - this is
      >something we cannot do. It is exactly the *story* that will now stand
      >forever accused!

      Actually, I agree with you 100% on this. That is, any effort to distance the
      Christian story from anti-semitism via historical criticism will fail,
      precisely because it is the STORY that is really the issue. And just for the
      sake of (further) clarification, my choice of "anti-semitism" over
      "anti-Judaism" was a considered one, insofar as I was commenting on the
      agenda of moderns, for whom anti-Semitism is the real issue. The story
      itself (in terms of the agenda of its ancient authors) may give expression
      to or reflect anti-Judaism. But in modern times that anti-Judaism has often
      taken the form of anti-Semitism, and in some (many?) cases "the Christian
      story" has been used as a support for this sentiment.

      But, as I said before, this is all really off-topic for this list. (So why
      do I keep writing about it?)

      Bill