Re: [XTalk] Re: e-Catena

  • Peter Kirby
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 18, 2002
      From: "Brian Trafford" <bj_traff@...>
      To: <crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, September 16, 2002 9:16 PM
      Subject: [XTalk] Re: e-Catena

      > --- In crosstalk2@y..., "Peter Kirby" <kirby@e...> wrote:
      > >Someone else suggested that the data be placed in a database format,
      > >which would allow all sorts of manipulation, including complex
      > >searches for particular combinations of NT book and patristic
      > >document. I would be able to generate a tab-delimited text file
      > >with the information with little difficulty, which could be imported
      > >into a database. Is there any interest in that?

      Someone contacted me about this, and we are thinking about making an Access

      > I think that this would be a great idea. I must admit though, I am
      > not a programmer, and have no idea how much work this would entail.
      > If you build it, however, there is no doubt that they will come. B^)

      With building in mind, I have thought about developing
      earlyjewishwritings.com for quite some time now, but I am critically lacking
      one thing: help. While I am good at maintaining web sites and finding links
      and such, I am not competent to write introductory information on the books
      of the Hebrew scriptures and Jewish pseudepigrapha. If anyone would be
      interested in writing introductory information and/or quote compilation for
      some of the OT books (or pseudepigrapha) somewhat similar to what I have for
      early Christian writings (consider
      http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/didache.html and
      http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/matthew.html to be exemplars), please
      contact me off-list.

      I also need to develop a list of Jewish books with approximate dates (in
      terms of centuries), so if anyone knows of something like that online or in
      print that would be great. A list with dates would be useful even if it
      included only the canonical OT books. (I guess this should also be taken

      > >Note that most of the references in "Ignatius" are spurious hits
      > >from the longer 4th c. recension.

      > Yes, I saw this. But I do not see how you can scan through the chaff
      > to find only the wheat. Such is the nature of most research I have
      > found. I guess the internet should be no different.

      I think that the thing to do is to cast your net as widely as possible so as
      to gather in everything. Then, if you are wise, you can easily pick out a
      fine large fish.

      > Thanks again, and terrific work Peter.

      Peter Kirby