Re: [XTalk] The Twelve

  • cfjacks
    Message 1 of 72 , Sep 3, 2002
      Bob,

      Good to see you posting comments again! But while there are ample reasons
      to be skeptical about the pictures about "the twleve" in the Gospel of Mark,
      it seems to me that it is better to consider this an elaboration of
      something rather than a complete invention. My reason is not just personal
      preference but how else to handle Paul's referring to "the twelve" in
      I Cor. 15:5. Granted that this passage is more than a little puzzling
      itself, especially as it might seem to differentiates "the twelve" from "the
      apostles," still this number may well go back at least to "the earliest
      days" of Palestinian Christianity if not
      all the way back to Jesus himself.

      In fact, my own surmise/guess has been that in fact Jesus did select twelve
      out of the larger field of "disciples" as a "prophetic sign," signaling the
      restoration of the twelve tribes of Israel, but not (as the author of Mark
      has it) as a way of preparing for the future by authorizing his successors
      and by preparing them for their future position and authority. Skepticism
      about this Marcan picture does not necessarily lead to skepticism about
      whether Jesus himself did not select a group of twelve for some purpose!

      Clive F. Jacks, Th.D.
      Professor of Religion, Emeritus
      Pikeville College
      Pikeville, KY

      (But now happily retired to metropolitan Atlanta)

      P.S. For you other listers, this interchange is just a "going public" of
      conversations Bob and I used to enjoy when I was still living and teaching
      in Pikeville.

      Message 72 of 72 , Sep 19, 2002
        Frank McCoy wrote:

        > --- Karel Hanhart <K.Hanhart@...> wrote:
        >
        > Historically, the original group of twelve were formed
        > IMHO in the wake of the crucifixion, when various
        > Judean factions from within the land and from the
        > diaspora joined with Jesus' disciples, thus forming
        > the beginnings of christianity. Luke reports on this
        > major event in Acts 2 in hagadic fashion. As I
        > suspect, out of this larger group of converts (3000,
        > Acts 2,41) twelve 'apostles' were chosen to lead the
        > movement headed by 'James, Peter and John' called
        > 'pillars'. In other words, the 'historical' Jesus did
        > not select 12 disciples during his lifetime to
        > represent a 'new Israel'. The twelve, chosen soon
        > after the crucifixion, were honored as "witnesses" of
        > the risen Messiah and as such were called 'apostles'.
        > (Comp. Paul's claim to be an apostle not "by men").
        > I have tried to reconstruct the assumed original
        > pre-Markan list of the twelve without a fictive Judas
        > Iscariot and a symbolical Andrew, but including the
        > three 'pillars' on pg 445 as follows: James (Jesus'
        > brother), Simon (Cephas), John (of Jerusalem, an
        > Essene), James Zebedee, John Zebedee, Thomas, Matthew,
        > James (Alphaeus), Thaddaeus, Simon (the Cananaean);
        > Judas, (brother of James).
        >
        > I would very much appreciate your reactions to this
        > proposal,
        >
        > Dear Karel Hanhart:
        >
        > The early Jerusalem Church, with its three pillars and
        > twelve apostles, might be based on an Essene model,
        > thusly described in 1QS (VIII, 1-4), "In the Council
        > of the Community there shall be twelve men and three
        > Priests, perfectly versed in all that is revealed of
        > the Law, whose works shall be truth, righteousness,
        > justice, loving-kindness and humility."

        Frank,

        I was and am aware of this structure of the Qumran community.
        However, as you also know, the differences of the Jesus' movement
        and the Qumran community are considerable. On the other hand,
        it seems clear to me that many followers of Jesus could be called
        'chassidic' as compared to Pharisees, Zealotrs, Herodians and other
        groups.
        As I see it,( - but who can make bold answers to historical
        questions concerning the early post-crucifixion Jesus' movement? -)
        various chassidim as well as Judeans from the diaspora joined with the
        disciples of Jesus and his Galilean followers soon after the
        crucifixion. It seems to me that there may well be some connection
        between the structure of the Qumran community and the number
        twelve. The twelve may well have been regarded as representing Israel,
        but certainly not as replacing the people of Israel..
        Simon Peter, however, was not a priest; neither James, Jesus'
        brother, as far as we know, James and Peter were naturally regarded
        as leaders from the beginning. It seems to me that John (of Jerusalem) may
        well have
        been a chassidic leader. We may not conclude, therefore,
        that the election was modeled precisely after that Qumran structure.
        The Jerusalem community could well be called chassidic in a broad sense.
        The fact that neither Paul nor the authors of the Gospels refer to the
        Essenes,
        implies I think that many persons, sympathetic with the community at Qumran,
        had joined with the disciples. I dare not go further than assessing the texts
        of
        Acts 1, 15 ff (some sort of an election took place!), the text of Acts 2; the
        role
        of James and the "pillars" in Acts and the epistles and the obvious
        differences
        in the lists of the twelve we have.

        cordially

        Karel