Re: [XTalk] Grondin Re: Proof

  • LeeEdgarTyler@aol.com
    Message 1 of 104 , Sep 2, 2002
      In a message dated 9/2/2002 2:04:01 PM Central Daylight Time,
      bobschacht@... writes:

      > The missing piece in this definition is that we know that carelessness is
      > not really random, but can be driven by subconscious processes that have
      > distinct preferences.
      > In other words, true random selection (in the statistician's sense)
      > requires a great deal of care to eliminate sources of bias, whereas
      > haphazard selection involves no care at all, and thereby opens the door to
      > unconscious factors of bias.
      > Does this help?

      In the case of our sources, many factors of bias were not even unconscious.
      Long after these texts were produced, conscious efforts were made to preserve
      some, to neglect some, and even to destroy others. The texts that survived
      to make our present-day "universe" do not necessarily represent the universe
      of, say, AD 150. To the degree that intentionality played a great role in
      this sort of "artificial selection," I wonder how accurate a term "haphazard"
      is.

      Of course, genuinely haphazard events played their role as well. I don't
      wish to downplay the importance of that.

      Ed Tyler

    • Thomas G. Barnes
      Message 104 of 104 , Nov 13, 2002
        I know this is off topic, however, during the past few days I noticed the
        discussion going on about the use of copyrighhted material. Anyway, my
        question is this, how do I properly cite a web page I used information from
        in an academic paper. I am a student and an interested historical Jesus
        individual. I realize this is off topic so please send reply to me off the
        list.

        Thomas G. Barnes
        Philadelphia, PA
        Temple University